Monday, 27 January 2014

a trip to the farm



Each week, we take a trip to the farm. Not just any old farm. My family's farm where I grew up.

It's the highlight of the kid's week. Just ask them!

They get to run about, visit with the animals, check the fruit on the trees, help their grandparents collect the eggs and do the farm chores. All the things I grew up doing as a kid before I moved away to the city. Sometimes they'll ride a horse or milk a cow. Or perhaps they'll chase the turkeys or feed a poddy lamb. You never quite know what the day will bring. It's always exciting though!





I had a pretty awesome childhood. My siblings and I were never bored. There's literally always something to do when you've got that much room to run about and that many animals and trees. We might have complained about the chores now and then (what kid doesn't?) But give up our horses? No way. We wouldn't have traded for anything.

When I was an adult living in the city all those years, I realised what a lucky kid I'd been. Also a little shocked at how different my upbringing had been. My family didn't have much money, but we had a rich childhood, filled with simple pleasures. Hundreds of trees to climb, horses to ride, cows to chase, fresh food from the garden to eat. We felt rich indeed.

It was those childhood memories that fuelled my determination to leave the city and the life we were leading there.

These days, I'm so grateful our move is giving my own children some of those same opportunities I had growing up. When I see them feeding the chooks or the lambs it fills me with joy. These hills, this farmland, they shaped who I am. They're in my bones. And I know they'll now be in my children's as well.


10 comments:

  1. So beautiful. This is so much what I want for my kids, too.
    --Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaime! It is a beautiful farm and I'm very grateful for it!

      Delete
  2. Oh those photos of the farm are wonderful and you have captured the essence of it with those barb wire fences and cows...beautiful. It's so true that your childhood which was "normal" to you growing up could have been so foreign to your children however you have made changes so they can experience what you had growing up. A visit to the farm for any child would be amazing and grandparents are the best aren't they. Are state are you in Australia I can see Kiwi Fruit..or are you in NZ? Funny thing is I eat kiwi fruit but I have never seen them growing so to see them on a tree was interesting - you know at my age why didn't I know kiwi fruit grow on a big tree...don't know how else they would grow but there you go. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we're in Australia! Kiwi's grow really well here as well. They grow on big vines. These vines and orchard are very old- more than 30 years old, so they're really thick and tree like now. They'll be ready for picking soon enough!

      Delete
  3. Your children are smart too! They know what is beautiful and fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most kids would love time on a farm. They're definitely lucky kids :)

      Delete
  4. What an incredible place to have grown up. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal. It is an amazing place. I was a very fortunate child! I didn't really realise how lucky I was until I was an adult though.

      Delete
  5. I love the way your describe your childhood and the your enjoyment of watching your own children experiencing it. The countryside is stunning:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a really pretty part of Australia :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...