Sunday, 19 January 2014

a very big birthday cake


We had a birthday to go to on the weekend and that, of course, meant cake! And a big celebration, meant a big cake. Yum.

I was asked very nicely if I would bake the cake, and was given just a few key instructions.

1. Make it big.
2. Make it chocolate.
3. Did I mention make it very big? It has to feed a lot of people.

Righto. I can do that. One big cake coming up!

I think the kids thought Christmas had come again, when I pulled out the mixmaster. They hovered around those beaters like seagulls, just waiting to claim one loaded up with cake batter. Mine, mine, MINE!



This cake is essentially just two massive cakes, cut into 4 separate slices with cream, chocolate cream and strawberries layered in between. Perfect for when you need to feed loads of people! It's also pretty easy on the wallet because it doesn't use any fancy ingredients. Just make sure you've got lots of people to feed it to OK, because I'm not kidding when I say this cake is big.

A Very Big Chocolate Cake (to feed a crowd)

Ingredients:

600 grams unsalted butter
3 cups water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
9 eggs
6 cups self raising flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
5.5 cups sugar
2.5 cups cocoa powder

Here's how I do it:

This makes a huge amount of batter, so you might need to separate it down into smaller amounts to fit into your mixer. If you mix in separate batches, just pour it all in a big pot at the end and mix well with a wooden spoon, before pouring into 2 cake tins.

Grease and line 2 round cake tins, 28cms wide. Heat oven (you need a moderate oven for this- mine cooks this perfectly at 180 degrees Celcius or 350F, but your oven might be different).

Sift all the dry ingredients together. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat in the mixer until it starts to change to a paler colour. Pour equal amounts into your 2 tins. Bake for roughly 1.5  hours or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre.

Allow to cool in the tins for a few minutes before turning out on a rack.

When cool, cut into four even layers. If they're not perfectly even, don't panic, no-one will notice!

Layer with cream and strawberries. I layered like this: First layer, vanilla cream, second layer, half the chocolate cream, strawberries on top of chocolate cream,  second half of chocolate cream on top of strawberries, third layer, vanilla cream, fourth layer, vanilla cream, topped with strawberries.


Vanilla cream

Whip 600 mls cream with 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1 tablespoons sugar until it hold firm peaks.

Chocolate cream

Carefully whip 600 mls cream with 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1/4 cup sifted cocoa and 1/3 cup sugar. The cocoa makes this whip up really fast, so be careful not to over beat it, you don't want chocolate butter!

6 comments:

  1. What a great recipe, thank you!

    I don't make cake often but when I do, it needs to be a big cake.
    Thanks for doing all the work for me.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome. I think I wrote down as much for me as for anyone else so I could remember what I did for the next time I have to make a massive cake!

      Delete
  2. Anyone would think Christmas had come again with that beautiful big cake....must had been a fun birthday in a happy home:) Thanks for sharing this recipe...I'll save it and see if I can replicate it in two months time, got to find the nerves to do it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be scared! It's a very simple cake. Promise!

      Delete
  3. That cake looks so delicious, I could happily eat a slice of that right now with a nice cup of tea:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...