Sunday, 12 January 2014

dreaming of a tree change?

Once upon a time, I lived in a place we Aussies call the "Big Smoke". A not-so-little-town that goes by the name of Sydney. Just me, oh, and about four and a half million others. I was yet another worker bee going about the daily grind, spending a good 20-30 hours of my week just to-ing and fro-ing from work. But deep down I longed for a different life. A life that celebrated simple pleasures. I secretly dreamed of a land of green rollling hills, growing a veggie garden, sewing clothes for my children to wear, curling up in front of a crackling fire place with my knitting and taking some scones down to the local market day while I had a cup of tea and chat with some of the locals. I had a pretty good imagination and could spend quite a bit of time living in that fantasty world. Unfortunately, my dream would always be rudely interrupted by my real world- a land of honking car horns, smog and living an arm's length from my neighbours as the planes flew about 20 metres above my head day and night. Living this secret life in my mind was so much easier than ever trying to make it a reality.

But that whisper of dream, kept nagging at me, each day getting louder.

Once I had my first baby, I was determined to make my dream more than a figment of my imagination. But I had my city living husband to convince- a not so easy task. Of course we made the typical pros and cons list. It often ran pretty short though.
Pro: Buy a house amongst the gum trees, have space to do our own thing, live where people are friendly, grow some veggies, get a goat. Bliss.
Con: No job = no money.
Ahh, that con was always the ultimate deal breaker which would take me back to living in my head.

Then I became pregnant with our second child and maybe it was the morning sickness, who knows, but those visions of hills, fresh air and forests were screaming at me too loud to ignore. Until one day, one fine day, that great big con on our list didn't look so scary anymore.

We finally agreed, "Let'sJustDoIt. We'll give it 6 months and if we come crawling back with our tails between our legs, at least we tried. We'll never know if we never tried."

So we took that great big leap of faith and packed up our car and a bunch of boxes and drove till we found our rolling hills and sweet air.


Amazingly that was over 3 years ago now and we haven't gone crawling anywhere yet. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been all bliss and frolicking in hills filled with the sound of music. Finding work in the country is always a very real issue. Not to mention the four days in a row we spent without power during last year's floods. But we realised we are prepared to live with less, to make sacrifices so we can have the things that are important to us. I don't own a fancy car, designer clothes or the latest must-have-gadgets.




But you know what? We found a little piece of land with an amazing view, built that veggie garden and live in a community where we wave to our neighbours as we drive down the road and I know we made the right choice. Every day I feel grateful that we were brave enough to start living our dream and who knows, one day we might even get that goat.

So do you dream of a tree change? A sea change? Of living overseas? What's holding you back?

If you want to see more of my garden and how we transformed it, click HERE.

To see how fast our garden grew in the first 6 weeks, click HERE.

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.

26 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks so very beautiful there! I wonder if you're on the south coast of NSW, maybe inland a bit? It's truly superb. And you and your partner have made such a lovely home for your family. I love your preserving and sewing, and your garden! What a space. It looks like you've been living like this for, well... forever. It's such a good example of what can be done. I've added you to my side bar. :- )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Rhonda! I'm so honoured to have you comment on my blog :) We've actually only been at our place for a year and a half and in the area for 3 years. We've been working really hard to get the garden happening and an orchard planted and we just love it here. My parents always lived this way in the country so I knew that was what I wanted for my children as well. It took a huge leap of faith to leave the life we were living in the city though to make it happen. I think it's the best thing we ever did and even my husband agrees now :)

      Delete
  2. Love your garden beds! I don't suppose that's a brand available in the USA? I've tried several kinds - 2x, post, tires, and now have stone - which is way to expensive but seems to be lasting. Haven't tried metal as yet. Best of luck in your 'dream' world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Patty! I'm not sure if you can get this type of bed in the USA? They are corrugated steel and a very common here in Australia. Most of our beds are the cheapest of this kind available in Australia. They were bought from Aldi (a discount store) I talk a little more about the beds in my blog post here and the reason we chose them for our climate http://ock-du-spock.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/the-transformation-of-garden.html

      Delete
  3. I've just moved away from my dear little country town and I miss it terribly. But the pull of family was greater and now I find myself in a large regional city. Life here is very sweet, and I adore my family but there is nothing like country life.
    Congratulations on taking the leap and making your dreams come true.
    Your vegie patch is rather epic - I'm very jealous - especially as my vegie patch is currently 3 laundry baskets with potato sacks in them at the back door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Family is certainly a very strong pull and it was also one of the things pulling us towards the country (where my parents live). My veggie patch was just a few pot plants on an apartment balcony for a good many years and I loved growing that way as well. Just growing things, anywhere, is so satisfying!

      Delete
  4. I popped over from Rhonda's blog and your space is lovely. I would one day like a tree change, with more space for now though I have a veggie patch on my quarter of an acre and visit my parents in the bush when I need to that space around me. I look forward to following along with your journey. Wishing you a lovely Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine. What beautiful pictures you take! Growing a veggie patch, where ever you can, is a wonderful thing indeed :)

      Delete
  5. Your blog is very inspiring...such great photos! Well done on making the change from the Big Smoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's so different to living in the city, we love it!

      Delete
  6. Hi there, i found your blog in the comments from Rhonda's blog and was intrigued. I love your determination to move from the city to country. Your garden is so inspiring and have pinned it as my dream garden. We live in the Snowy Mountains and the frost is a big challenge along with kangaroos, possums, feral rabbits and the wind! Renting also has its limitations. So glad to have found your blog and I look forward to future and past posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zena. I hope you get your dream garden one day :)

      Delete
  7. We did exactly the same thing - moved from the "Big Smoke" to "Cottage Country". I love the quiet, nature at the back door (which prevents us from having a vegetable garden BTW), dark skies, solitude.....
    Like you, we have a little corner of Paradise. No better description, don't you agree?
    Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I definitely feel like we live in paradise! The wildlife (as much as I love it!) poses some growing problems here as well. We have completely fenced and netted our whole garden, yet some wildlife still manages to break in. It's all fun though and we wouldn't want to be without the gorgeous birds and wallabies that live around us!

      Delete
  8. I have come visiting via Rhonda's blog - and I am so pleased I did. Lovely to see your progress and how you are turning your dream into reality - it is never easy or simple to make the changes required but it is rewarding in so many ways. Your photos are lovely - looking forward to following your future progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Change is always daunting, but I think sometimes the very best things come about because of change :)

      Delete
  9. I came to have a look at your beautiful blog from Rhonda's blog. I love your banner, it's very clever. It was a very brave decision for you to move from city to country and I admire your attitude of "let's just give it a go". I'll be following your blog thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! It's lovely to have you come over and visit my blog. You have a very nice banner on your blog :)

      Delete
  10. We're actually on the verge of doing what you have done. We bought a house in Northern NSW on 5 acres which we'll be able to move into in 2015 - we're in WA at the moment (in a desert mining town).

    It's good to see people who have done the same and to see them doing well. I'm enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting for you and what a big move! Sounds like you have lots of adventures in store. We are loving our tree change!

      Delete
  11. stunning!!!!!! I'll be getting some tips on those garden beds:) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Corrie :) You and the kids will love having the space! I can't wait to see your future veggie garden. Always happy to help- although I'm still learning in the garden myself!

      Delete
  12. found you via retro mummy, I'm at the dreaming, cons list, convince hubby stage. Don't know I'll ever move past it, but boy do I love reading a good tree change blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy! Thanks for coming over to say hi! It's a tricky decision to make (and it isn't for everyone)- we contemplated it for years before taking the plunge and doing it :) We do love it though!

      Delete
  13. We too have left Sydney behind, a couple of years ago. I don't miss the traffic and corporate life and the lack of time for living.
    I have swapped it for less money, but I think of it as I have bought back my life ;-) . I am so much happier, as is my little family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have a bit in common LGV! I don't miss the stress of the city or the traffic, that is for sure :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...