Tuesday, 28 January 2014

instant baby food


Just like that, my baby is eating solids. Where does the time go now, really?

This year is a crazy busy one for me, with lots of taxi-ing children around, so I've decided to try and be better organised to stay on top of things! And the latest thing to add to my "to do" list is baby food. I've always made my baby food, as I like them to have healthy fruits and veggies with no added extras, but spur-of-the-moment baby food making is not likely to happen in the next couple of months. Solution? Pre-make it and freeze! Easy, healthy and frugal, especially when I can find some of those veggies in my garden.


It really is so super simple. All I do is boil fruits and vegetables until tender. Put into the food processor with a little of the boiling liquid and puree until it's smooth. As my baby gets older,  I'll puree it less to keep some lumps. Then just freeze it in ice cube trays.

When I need a meal for bub, pull out as many cubes as they need. You can also mix and match cubes to create flavours your baby likes.  How about sweet potato/zucchini/carrot- yes please! Or pear/apple/peach? So many cool flavours you can make.

I carry the frozen cubes about in little microwavable containers so I can heat them up where ever I go (those things are everywhere now- even in the mother's rooms at the shopping centres). So I've got no excuses, my baby will be well fed!

6 comments:

  1. I SO wish that I had done this when my daughter was a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food processors are so cool aren't they? They make life easier!

      Delete
  2. I am a grandma of 6 and have been reading your blog since finding it on down---to---earth. I want to congratulate you on the wonderful young mum you are. Through work and dedication you are living a life that is very full and all those lovely childhood experiences have certainly paved the way for more wonderful memories with your own children . I hope other Mums take their lead from how you are living and loving. Congratulations. Cheers
    Green Gran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Green Gran! I am definitely far from perfect though :) I'm always open to new ideas and always learning. Hopefully I'll never stop learning.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could go back to when my kids were little (well not to the terrible marriage that went with it) but to when my kids were little. I would have loved my thermomix back then and be more into things like I am now. I love that you have them in a little container when you are out as well. I bought all baby food in jars and even though at the time I wanted to be one of those Mum's who cooked food for their kids...I could only manage so much due to my situation. It's true that it's easy to do these things when you are organized and prepared. Your little one will thank you...ahh..well maybe not but in the long run your little one's health will thank you. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as mums we all just do the best we can, in whatever situation we find ourselves in! x
      p.s- I am very jealous of your thermomix!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...