Monday, 6 January 2014

oliver + s bubble dress


I decided 2014 was going to be the year of chop that fabric! Nothing is off limits, nothing too precious. What I'm realising is, shock horror, children grow far too quickly. Fabrics I bought to use for my first baby, are now far too babyish for him. When did that happen? Grandmothers always stop me in the shops and tell me this time with small children will pass all too quickly. That I'll blink and it will be over. I usually just smile and nod and go back to trying to wrangle 3 little kids and a shopping trolley. But those grannies, well they might just know what they are talking about. Somehow my firstborn is no longer a baby. Scratch that, he's no longer toddler. He's an almost-ready-to-walk-through-the-school-gates-boy! Woah breathe.

So, I've realised there really is no better time than now to use up my very favourite fabrics and make lovely things for them to enjoy while they will still love it.


This Belle & Boo fabric I've been hoarding for a while, just waiting for the right project. Well my friends, no longer! I found it. The oliver + s bubble dress. I don't know why I haven't made this dress before? It's freakin' adorable. The instructions for the dress were excellent, like all the other oliver + s patterns I have made previously. There was only one part where I thought I might come unstuck and that was turning out the back placket. That is the beauty of these patterns. Not only are the patterns and instructions awesome, but any problems and there's a whole fabulous sewing community who've trodden the path before you, willing to help. My friend has written an awesome tutorial which solved my problem. If you haven't made the dress before it's well worth a look!

I'm not gonna lie, I was so nervous cutting into this fabric, but once I started I kinda got carried away. I figured, since I'm using such precious fabric and since I'm making a previously unmade pattern, why not top it off with another first- inserting my first metal snaps!

My snap press has been gathering dust of late. It's put in more than it's fair share of plastic snaps, but those metal snaps seemed far too daunting. It took me an hour to work out how to put them in, and I was worried the whole time that I was going to ruin the whole dress. But do you know what? I love them! I love the dress. The whole thing! And so does my daughter.

So 2014 I'm starting to feel a little more ready for you! If I can chop that fabric, who knows what else I can do?

Who's with me?


12 comments:

  1. The grannies are right (sob!) - and I'm with you on cutting up the good stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I'm just learning how fast 5 years goes... far TOO fast!

      Delete
  2. Last year I realised all my one yards and less won't last long for my nearly 5yo, so I started my own 'use it or lose it' project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use it or lose it- I like it! Those 1 yard cuts very quickly become too little don't they. I definitely need to pull all mine out and put them in the chop pile!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh wow thanks for the comment Mandy! I am such a huge fan of your work!

      Delete
  4. It came out beautifully and I did notice from your Flickr shot that you nailed the tricky back part where some people inadvertently leave a gap.
    My metric 1 metre cuts should last a bit longer, right?, perhaps not....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is an awesome one yard wonder pattern (2 yards including the lining). Definitely need to start putting a dent in my 1 yard/1 metre pieces! Sadly the pattern only goes to size 5 though :(

      Delete
  5. I just came over from Down To Earth blog. Your dress is beautiful and I really like the material. I am 68 yr old and sewed for my daughter who now has two daughters whom I have sewn many dresses for. Yes, time has a way of flying by leaving us with many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The fabric was one of my most treasured pieces from the stash which I've been holding onto for just the right thing. My mum used to sew for me as a little girl and those things always seemed so special to me. I just love making things for my children now and hope that they might one day feel the same way.

      Delete
  6. That dress is adorable! I am totally with you, this has been a goal for me too. I have special fabrics I have been saving for 10-20 years! I gave a bigger piece to my eldest (13 yrs) the other day and told her she could make herself a dress from it… I will work on spring/summer dresses for the younger ones…

    I am so glad you said hello the other day at my blog, leading me here to your neat space!
    Happy day and happy sewing to you!
    Renee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee! thanks for coming over to visit :) It's always a challenge cutting into the special fabrics isn't it? The funny thing is I never regret doing it once the thing is made though!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...