Wednesday, 22 January 2014

are you a tosser or a repairer?


It's times like these I am grateful I can sew! I am up to my neck in school uniforms at the moment. Uniforms that need repairs. I am just entering the world of "school mum", and honestly it's a steep learning curve. There is so much to do and organise I'm wondering how I'm going to keep up with it all.

And my first big shock of all horrors: uniforms aren't cheap. Yes, yes, I can hear all of you already baptized school mums laughing at me now! I almost choked when I heard the price for a new pair of uniform-issue plain navy shorts.  

You cannot be serious? Surely they are not just made of polyester for that price? Gold lining perhaps? My little boy destroys clothes like no-one's business. How many of those stiff, polyester uniforms is he going to churn through in a year? I really shouldn't ask, because believe me, I don't really want to know the answer.

That's when I start to feel incredible grateful I can sew. When others toss things out thinking they are no good, I look at them and say, can I fix that? Hmm, some new elastic, a seam ripper and some new topstitching and they'll be looking super smart again!


Frugal or stingy? Unfortunately just plain necessary in my house. These school shorts are the most expensive in his whole wardrobe, but he wouldn't know the difference between them and cheapies! Everything is equally loved with dirt, ripped up on his bike or has chew marks (for the love of Pete why do boys chew things?) I cannot keep up with him and the clothes he goes through.

So if anyone needs me for the next few days I'll be the one buried in a sea of navy thread and worn out elastic.

Oh and if anyone has any tips on how to stop him chewing his Lego, despite missing his four front teeth, I'd be ever so grateful.

8 comments:

  1. Repairing used to be a way of life for my generation, but now that im shopping for grandchildren I've noticed just how cheaply (bought and made!) clothing is these days. I suppose it's hard to want to spend a few hours repairing something when it cost you $1.99 in the first place.
    As for chewing, we tried all sorts of things from fish oil to chilli on things but to be honest I think all it did was make a mess! In all likelihood he'll just grow out of it dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually find repairing very satisfying in a crazy way. It feels good to make something useful again!

      Delete
  2. I am a fixer and when the item finally 'dies' I cut anything useable from it and donate the garment to the rag man.
    I never had a chewer, I suspect its a 'grow out of it' thing.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to be a repairer, the most I have done is repaired a few tears and replaced some buttons. It feels good to do what you can, as you say uniforms are so expensive. Now I am at home I have the time to do these things and I want to learn more.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really satisfying knowing you can fix something up (although I've just spied that chair on your blog, so I know that you know what I'm talking about :)!

      Delete
  4. I like to repair things too. Time to let down my daughter's summer uniforms as she has had a growth spurt during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children grow like weeds in the holidays don't they!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...