Thursday, 23 January 2014

thai noodle garden salad

Is there anything better than "shopping" your garden when it comes to dinnertime? As awesome as growing stuff is, and it's pretty darned great, there's nothing better than picking something you grew yourself and eating it up! It's the number one perk of being a gardener, because veggies never taste so good as when they are picked and eaten straight away.

This salad came about because of what I found in my harvest basket this week. Some Asian greens, radishes, yellow capsicum/peppers, Thai basil and coriander. Hmm, what to make? Definitely another salad to add to our salads list!

Add to that a few things from the pantry and the fridge and you've got yourself a delicious summertime feast.







Thai Noodle Garden Salad

Salad ingredients:

Whatever Asian greens you can find in the garden- or something like
1/2 Wombok or 2 bunches pak choy
5 radishes
2 big carrots grated
Bunch Thai basil
Bunch coriander
1 capsicum
A couple of blocks of rice vermicelli
Squeeze of lime juice
Soy sauce
Sweet chilli sauce

Chicken ingredients:

Chicken breasts (we use free range) 1 small breast per person
Cashews (unsalted, roasted)
Peanuts (unsalted, roasted)
Garlic clove (homegrown if you're lucky!)
Dark soy sauce
Sweet chilli sauce (homemade if you're lucky!)
Ketchup manis

Here's what I do:

For the Salad

Boil some water and pour over the rice noodles. Allow to sit for a few minutes until the noodles are softened. Drain and allow to cool. The salad is made in the food processor so it's super quick!
Push carrots through the grater on food processor. Change the blade to the slicing blade and push through the rest of the salad ingredients. Pour out and mix through with the cooled rice noodles.
To dress the salad I mix a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, sweet chilli and lime juice and pour over the top, mixing through.

For the chicken

Blitz a large clove garlic in the food processor. Add a handful of cashews and a handful of peanuts. Process until the nuts are ground super fine. Add a couple of tablespoons of each sauce: sweet chilli, dark soy, ketchup manis. Coat the chicken in the nut mix and marinate for at least 15 mins. Cook in a hot wok or on a hot grill. Serve while still warm. Enjoy!


11 comments:

  1. I think I will chuck out my recipe books and just read your blog!
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you sweet :) I think I'd hang onto the cookbooks for a little while yet though!

      Delete
  2. This is a delicious and nutricious meal! My little family would love me even more if I could come up with that over here:) Love your harvest basket too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good fun cooking from the garden and working out what you can use together! The harvest was a second hand find a few years ago now- it's just the right size for me :)

      Delete
  3. I have my cup of coffee and was just catching up on your blog. How delicious does this meal look. Have to put that on the menu plan is the next few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks :) We think it's a yummy meal (we love our salads!)

      Delete
  4. All I can say is YUM, YUM, YUM.........this looks delicious and I will have to put this on our menu. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS...I've put a little "weekend reading" post together tonight and posted a link to your lovely blog. I hope you don't mind. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    http://oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/weekend-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! Thanks so much for visiting my blog- It's lovely to have you here :) I hope you enjoy the salad! (and thank you for linking to my blog- very kind of you!)

      Delete
  6. We made this recipe over the weekend and we all loved it-- great marinade!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that you made it and enjoyed it :) Thanks so much for telling me!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...