Sunday, 26 January 2014

what to do with roast lamb leftovers

Happy belated Australia Day to all my fellow Aussies! Tell me, did you have roast lamb like we did yesterday? Yummy. But if you're anything like us, there's a bone sitting in the fridge with meat still on it. Right? Don't you dare throw that bone out OK? It's got meals left in it yet!

I pulled our bone this morning to make a delicious curry that will feed us for lunch today and dinner tomorrow night. This curry makes the most of leftovers in the fridge. Things you might have overlooked or chucked out when you brought the new groceries in. No more. This curry, made from a few leftovers and some fresh greens we almost always have growing in the garden made enough to feed 8 people. That's 2 meals from 1 old bone. Right on!

Having a vegetable garden has really made me much more aware of the time, effort and cost that goes into growing food and it's made me more determined to waste less. Believe me, when you've put 6 months into growing a cabbage, you want to make the very most of it when it comes to eating time! I'm trying to have the same principles when it comes to my fridge. To waste less and therefore save more. Yes, save more.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one whose eyes started to water a little bit when they opened their last electricity bill. What is going on with those bills? Seriously.

So this is the year of more frugal living for us. As the cook in the family, I know there are many places we can tighten our belt a little bit. I have a theory that as long as we have a garden, we'll never go hungry. It's a matter of making sure that food in the garden is always coming into the house and being eaten. I'm trying to make our clunky old fridge a thing of beauty this year, full of healthy eats and a minimum of waste. Well that's the plan. Let's see if I can achieve it!




Leftover Curry

Ingredients:

1 leftover lamb leg
1 onion
1 clove fresh garlic
5 cups chopped vegetables. I like to use a combination of some sad looking veggies potatoes/carrots/sweet potatoes etc at the bottom of the crisper with some fresh greens picked from the garden.
olive oil
2 tablespoons mild curry powder (or any curry powder/paste of your choosing)
3 cups lamb or beef stock
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon plain flour
handful of fresh herbs (I used coriander for this dish)

Here's how I do it:

Cut all the leftover meat off the roasted lamb leg. There's usually a lot more meat than you'd think left on a leg after you have a roast! Put the bones aside, keep them and boil them up to make excellent stock for another day! Cube the meat and vegetables. Dice the onion and garlic and fry off in a little olive oil. Add the curry powder and cook till fragrant. Add flour and sugar cook for 1 min then add, lamb, stock and veggies (all except the fresh greens and herbs). Cook till veggies are tender and sauce is thickened. This takes about 30-40 mins. A few minutes before serving, add your sliced fresh greens. Cook for 5 mins and add herbs right before serving. Serve up with some rice.
Cost: Minimal
Taste: Yummo!

6 comments:

  1. Great idea happy Australia Day to you too

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda :) Nice to have you visit my blog!

      Delete
  2. A frugal meal you might call it but it looks so delicious:) Thank you for sharing your wisdom. You're smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually was pretty tasty and you wouldn't have known it was made from leftovers. The kids really loved it!

      Delete
  3. Yum, I'd come to your house to eat your left overs....that looks pretty good to me. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said leftovers had to be boring :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...