Tuesday, 21 January 2014

you're growing that in what?!





A while back we rescued a sad, old gutter that had seen better days. Throw that gutter out? No way!
I'd been looking around the web, and seen some great ideas for growing strawberries in gutters, that I was dying to try out.

So we attached the old gutter to the side of the garden, filled it up with soil and you know what? I think that was our most successful strawberry bed last year. The slugs never seemed to find the strawberries up there. I love that the guttering cost us nothing to put into our garden except a little elbow grease and time. And it got me thinking about all the recycled things you can grow in. I've seen people growing in old water tanks, and tyres, all kinds of things really. It never fails to make me smile.

Then last year Rhonda over at Down to Earth linked to this story about a couple growing in all kinds of crazy recycled materials and well really that story just made my day.

I'm sure some of you are growing in some fantastic recycled materials. I'd so love to know what you've got going on in your gardens. What kinds of recycled things are you growing in? Even better, will you take a picture and show it to me? Make sure you leave a link in the comments so we can all go and admire your genius!

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.

10 comments:

  1. Hi there. I found you from Rhonda's blog. You have a lovely blog and an amazing garden. My grandparents grow things in a bathtub and in old buckets. I wish I had a picture to share.
    regards. Terry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing that Terry! Older generations tend to be much more resourceful don't they. Hmm now where to find myself an old bathtub? Strawberries growing in a bathtub would be so cool!

      Delete
  2. Potatoes in old tires. We stack them up as the plants grow. Works great.
    Betty (in qld)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a successful project! Wonderful inspiration for all:)
    An old cement trough found in our property, that was used to wash clothes in the past? as it got a drain hole, and is now filled with geraniums. A twin metal container that holds salt to spread on public road during winter, owned and given up by a hardware shop, is now our wormery. A metal oil container is now perched a metre high to hold water for drip irrigation.
    It's hard work to get old things in this country. Nobody throws any away. If we see one, we have to beg for it and they do give it up..after all, it's just sitting there:) Well, that's where 'genius' starts first ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fantastic! They all sound superb! I'm sure the wash basin looks awesome when those geraniums are flowering. You've been incredibly resourceful using what you can find and I'm most intrigued by the sound of your wormery!

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic idea! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish we had more things around the place we could recycle for growing!

      Delete
  5. I love this idea! We need to get a new roof & guttering this year, so guess what I'm saving the old guttering for? ;)
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sorcha! Growing in gutters works amazingly well. I think you could grow all kinds of things in them as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...