Monday, 17 February 2014

a village frock







This dress has been on my 'to do' list for far too long. I am so glad I finally got my act together and sewed this one up. It's the Village Frock by Sugar City Dresses and it was love at first sight when I first caught my eye on this version. Sadly it's near impossible to get your hands on these days, as it's long out of print. Took me ages to track one down. A huge thanks to the lovely lady who helped me out!

What can I say about this pattern, other than I love, love, LOVE it? I'm not sure I've been so giddy about a pattern since I made the puppet show tunic a couple of years ago. Seriously, this village frock is one of the sweetest little patterns I have ever sewed up!

I used a plain cotton/linen blend for the main part of the dress, to really bring out the beauty of those gorgeous gathers (although I've seen some beautiful versions done in prints!) Then I bound it all in a Liberty Tana Lawn.

I only made a couple of changes to the pattern. I lengthened it by a good couple of inches, as it seemed to be on the short side. I also changed the way the loops were supposed to be attached, so they're enclosed by the binding. They're such a pretty feature that I decided to attach them from the front to really show them off.

This little dress makes me so happy and reminded me once again why I love to sew. The huge satisfaction that comes from creating something with your own hands. Such a wonderful pattern that makes a special dress unlike any seen in the shops. A pattern I'll definitely be making again and again.

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.





22 comments:

  1. Virginia you are a very talented lady with your sewing skills. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathy. Really it's all just the work of the pattern and the fabric though :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I went on a mad hunt for this pattern two years ago and never was able to find one, so I gave up. But yours is giving me the itch again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an elusive little thing this pattern isn't it? I went mad hunting 2.5 years ago for it and had almost given up, and then a very generous and awesome lady helped me out. I am very grateful to her!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful village frock! I even love that name:) I should have one too because we live in a village...so am very envious that you can just sew one so easily with much joy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cool name isn't it! I think I'd like one in a grown up size actually.

      Delete
  4. I've been waiting to see what you were making with linen and liberty after the 'tease' comment recently.
    It's fabulous. Love the linen colour and the liberty is a perfect match. Buttons are a perfect choice too. You've given me inspiration to dig this pattern out and make it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb I hope you do make it! I would love to see it :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! It is such a perfect dress. I love everything about it and I am pretty sad that the pattern is out of print. The Liberty fabric is so special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I don't own much Liberty and I have a hard time cutting into it. But I decided I'm chopping the good stuff this year!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful dress. How clever are you? Look at the gathers etc. I couldn't even dream of making something like that:) I love your fabric choices. You will have a smile on your face all day just looking at that dress, I know I would. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cleverness is all in the pattern! Patterns like these remind me why I love sewing so much :)

      Delete
    2. I've not used a pattern to make a piece of clothing. Maybe I should try and make something simple!! See you are inspiring me again - first the library bag now maybe an item of clothing!!

      You should continue to sew, you are good:) I love your comment "I'm chopping the good stuff this year". You'll enjoy to see it being worn I am sure.

      Delete
  7. The dress is wonderful! I loved that pattern when it came out. I wish I could make myself follow patterns, but I seem to have this need to make up everything myself.
    Sewing makes me so so happy too. Thanks for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be like that with patterns too! I do love them now though, perhaps a little too much :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Sascha x. I miss you writing on your beautiful blog!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely divine! I'd never heard of the pattern and now I want it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry. This pattern tends to have that effect on people!

      Delete
  10. If you by chance come across another pattern, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame there isn't a reprint!

      Delete
  11. A beautiful finished frock <3

    I'm Going on 3 years hunting this unicorn pattern, sigh. Noting that your blog is from this year gives me hope that I will eventually find a copy, or maybe the creator will begin printing again one day-we can hope right?-

    Now I have finally resorted to searching for a ready to wear dress for either of my two little girls for sale, regardless of colors if I can find it in their size they will have it for sure!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...