Wednesday, 5 February 2014

care for a cuppa?


I have a real weakness for tea. Honest-to-goodness-brewed-in-a-pot tea. With little kids running about it feels like a complete luxury to brew a pot and sit down to a hot cuppa these days. I like mine black. No milk, no sugar. How about you?

A few years ago there was a point where I would drink 12 cups of tea a day.  Black tea. Straight Up. Caffeine in tea? Surely not! At first I didn't think it had any affect on me at all. That was until I realised it wasn't normal to lay awake at night with twitching eyeballs. What? Nobody else goes to bed with twitching eyeballs? I decided it was probably best to cut waaay back on the tea. Amazingly I started to sleep better and my twitching stopped as well.

These days I'm a lot more modest with my tea drinking. Only the occasional cup of normal tea and lots of herbal teas. I adore herbal teas, so I don't really feel like I'm missing out. But do you know what's the tastiest herbal tea? The tea you grow yourself.

At the moment I've got a real thing for lemon grass and mint tea, sometimes I mix it up with a bit of sage. Occasionally I go really wild and add some rosemary. Chocolate mint tea anyone? It's one of the cheapest, easiest and most decadent things you can grow in your garden. Herbs for your teapot. Forget paying an arm and a leg for a fancy herbal tea in a cafe. DIY freshly brewed herbal teas are the best you will ever taste and they come pesticide free!

I'm always looking for new flavour combinations to try too. Basil and thyme tea? Sure I'd give it a go! Perhaps with a squeeze of lemon.

How about you? Do you drink herbal teas? Do you grow your own? Got a favourite combination I should try?


10 comments:

  1. I'm a coffee girl and don't like tea. I have tried on a few occasions over the years but nope...I don't like it. That being said, your home grown herbal teas do sound interesting. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is a coffee man as well!

      Delete
  2. I got to the end of reading your first paragraph and switched the kettle on :)
    No garden here so I'm having a Tea Tonic apple tree tea which are great hot, cold and left to stew with the bag in the cup for hours (with a toddler in the house I usually end up with the last option).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendra I'm going to have to go and look up that tea now. It sounds delicious :)

      Delete
  3. I do love a good cup of tea too. I enjoy white tea in a little pot each day and really like Rooibos, camomile and peppermint. I haven't tried making my own herbal tea but maybe I should get out in the garden and plants some more yummy herbs to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, thanks for reminding me, Rooibos is one of my favourites! I love homegrown peppermint tea too :)

      Delete
  4. I love growing and drinking my own herbal teas too. Try borage, calendula petals and herb robert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely a new combination for me Liz!! I would definitely like to try it :)

      Delete
  5. Your post is so timely because I was thinking of grouping and growing those weeds (I mean Camomille) this year to be an owner of a tea plantation!! Then, I start thinking about Chrysanthemums too, but I think my existing variety is not the right kind. Tried a Chinese individual tea packet once and it got: white chrysanthemum flower, orange peels, wolf berries, rock sugar among the things I recognize and it taste lovely all together:) Don't think this one gives eyeball twitching skill ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy- although I'm not sure what wolf berries are! I must use more orange peel. We have citrus (although not in season yet), but I usually just use lemon in my teas, even though I love orange. Also I just have to say, your picture of your garden and the one with Boris, well honestly, it made my day!

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...