Thursday, 6 February 2014

late night reading



There's nothing quite like books, is there? So much information is instantly available these days, with just a few clicks. I'd be lost without that instant information now too! No more waiting to go to the library to look something up to find the answer, or needing constantly up to date encyclopedias. Just click, click, click and you're done. But as much as I love the flow of information these days, for me, nothing will ever really replace books. The smell of them, the feeling of turning the pages, the heaviness of a hardcover and the way pictures look on paper. There's a special-ness to them. Opening up a favourite book is like being wrapped up in a warm hug. We have overflowing bookcases in our house, and we also go to the library almost every week to choose new things to read. Regardless of how busy the days get, I always make time for reading. Reading to the children, and then later when they are in bed, reading for myself. Books are always sitting on my bedside table and right now I'm reading:

1. Commonsense cookery book. This is one of the only cookbooks on my shelf that doesn't have pictures. I usually won't buy cookbooks without pictures. But this book is a classic and has some of the best all time favourite baking recipes. Do they even make this book anymore? My mum gave it to me years ago. We're making the pikelets out of it today.
2. Down to Earth. I love Rhonda's blog. She's an inspirational woman and her book is gorgeous. The kind of book every young adult should be given to read in this day and age. It's like getting advice from a wise, dear friend.
3. Growing your own Heirloom Vegetables. These Diggers books are always good for a flick through. This one has lots of interesting information, but I think nothing really beats local advice or your own experience when it comes to planting a garden.
4. Kitchen Garden Companion. This is a lovely and huge book. Lots of inspiration for how to use what you grow, particularly when you have an oversupply in the garden. I'd recommend borrowing it from the library first to see if you'll find it useful.

So what are you reading at the moment? Anything good I should know about?

4 comments:

  1. I have Rhonda's book of course and Stephanie's Kitchen Garden Book which is up in my kitchen book shelf so I think I have to get it down and go through it as I forget it's up there. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one to keep coming back to I think, when you find yourself with too much of something, or wondering what to do with something you've planted!

      Delete
  2. Hello! Thanks for stopping by my little spot on the web! I think my garden is no where near as good looking as yours!! Love those shiny corrugated sides and not a weed in sight!
    And I can so relate to your thoughts on books…. I'm finding myself more and more often turning to the internet for info but it's books that have pride of place on my bedside table, shelves and anywhere they'll fit! They smell nice, can have pretty pictures, feel good and yes, wrap you in a warm hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just adore looking at what people are growing in their veggie gardens! Yours is beautiful and looks like a very productive space :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...