Sunday, 9 February 2014

oliver + s swingset skirt



Pretty, pretty, pretty. That's what my little girl said when she saw this skirt for the first time and after that pile of school sewing, this pretty sewing couldn't have come at a better time. The perfect palate cleanser, if you like.

It's the oliver + s swingset skirt. My twirly girl loves skirts and this one definitely fits the bill. I sewed it up in some of Denyse Schmidt's Flea Market Fancy, with a simple red cotton voile for the lining.

I admit, before I made the skirt I was a little worried a lined skirt might be too heavy in our sticky summer heat, but it turns out I had no reason to worry. The voile is so floaty and soft you would barely know it is there. Turns out the lining is my very favourite part. Without it, the skirt wouldn't have the same charm. I love how that bright red peeks out at you at every jump or spin.



I didn't make too many changes to the pattern, just added a little length for my tall toddler. I also finished up the waistband with a silky smooth, red satin ribbon to match the lining. My little girl likes that part a little too much. I'm not sure it's ever going to stay tied up. Didn't you know that ribbons twirl as well? Perfect gymnastics training apparently.

Hmm, do you think you can you double knot a ribbon?

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.


12 comments:

  1. Oh that skirt is super cute. I have that pattern but haven't tried it yet. My 3 year old is due for some new clothes so I think I will have to try this skirt out for her. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's a lovely pattern, well worth sewing up!

      Delete
  2. That's beautiful no wonder she likes it. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the red lining! I've made a few of these for my preschooler, and am just resigned to the ribbons hanging down. In fact, I've started trimming them to skirt length and adding a decorative bead to the ends. It's quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea Kitty! Thanks so much for sharing it!

      Delete
  4. Your little girl is right...it's so pretty:) If only I've got the sewing skill like yours, I would also like to sew one for me-self!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I wouldn't mind one in my size either actually!

      Delete
  5. Very cute ... I have been thinking about getting this pattern, though as it only goes up to 5 I wouldn't get much more use out of it. I love the fabric pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a very sweet little pattern, but it is little :( which is a shame because i think this pattern would size up very well.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous skirt. I love this pattern too but have the same problem with my ribbons untying. I think the trick is to use bias binding, cotton twill tape or grosgrain ribbons, all of which have a bit more grip. The beaded ribbon idea is lovely, thanks Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you're right about the grippy-ness. All her other skirts have ties with more grip on them and they aren't as tempting to pull undone!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...