Tuesday, 4 February 2014

planning the autumn garden



It's getting to about that time when I start thinking about the autumn garden. It's still too hot to be doing too much out in the veggie patch just yet, but seed starting, well that I can do!

Rhonda's got me into gear early this year with her garden along. Are you getting your garden ready to take part? I can't wait to see what everybody's growing. I never tire of looking at veggie gardens! There's also nothing better than watching your own garden progress as I did here last year. It's amazing to see what a garden can do in a few weeks. I can't wait to take photos again as I watch my garden grow!

I love this planning time, when the garden is full of so many possibilities. When I can let my imagination run wild with what I want to plant. I always grow too many seedlings. Always. I just love to watch those little seeds sprout! It's all good though, because I give a lot of my seedlings away. Usually I'll plant enough for our garden, and then some extras for family, friends and the little preschool down in the local village. It's awesome when you can help others get their veggie patch started. Especially kids. I just love to see little ones learning to grow food! Planting from seed is such a cheap way to start a garden, that it costs me barely anything to share the seedlings around.

I use all kinds of seeds when I plant my garden. Usually a mixture of heirlooms, saved seed and random packets. I've actually just started buying pea seeds in bulk, because I plant so many of them.


Umm, OK so perhaps I don't plant quite that many, but the bulk deal was far too good to pass up. The above picture is 3kg worth of sugar snaps, snow peas and shelling peas. It cost the same amount as a handful of tiny packets of cheapie seed! We're going to be eating a lot of peas this year. Lucky they're our favourite thing. Last year I grew peas from March until Christmas time.

The peas don't go out in the trays though- I'll start those directly in the garden in a month or so when hopefully the heat starts to ease up a bit. Peas are planted everywhere around here, not just in the garden. I've taken growing them up our paddock fences as well, because you can never have too many peas! My kids eat them like they are lollies. We all do, come to think of it.




So what do I start in the trays? I've gone for a variety of heirloom lettuces (they really are the best lettuces!), some new leafy greens (silverbeet, rainbow chard), some onions and a couple of herbs. I'm trying one last lot of corn and even though it's a tad early, I'm planting some brassicas as well- red cabbages, kale, broccoli, cauliflower. Hopefully the weather will shift and I'll be able to get them out!

I'll also do a bunch of direct sowing into the raised beds. Some plants prefer to stay where they're planted and don't take kindly to being transplanted. I'll direct sow peas, carrots, beetroots, radishes, pak choy, coriander and maybe a couple of other things.

Oh I'm all excited just thinking about it! There's nothing like a new garden to get you inspired about fresh food again is there?

So tell me, are you planning your new season garden yet? What are you planting? Are you going to join us for the garden along?

6 comments:

  1. That all looks good.....I wish I had more veggie gardens at my place but we have a little yard and I like room for the kids to play as well. My corn is going well so I'm going to plant some more this week so it can start coming up. A couple of years ago we planted beetroot and onions but didn't really have any luck with those. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your corn looks really great! Bet it will taste amazing :)

      Delete
  2. I'm sharing your excitement!! Just as you're planning your autumn garden, we are planning our spring garden. Snow have melted on ground but still visible from roof tops...but it didn't stop me from sowing some onion seeds and brassicas indoors. I must take photos of progress to share with you too, because I do enjoy and appreciate how you share yours (Thank you), and it's an encouragement and inspiration for others too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I can't wait to see your garden growing. Please do take pictures. I really can't imagine starting a garden while there is snow about... that is commitment!

      Delete
  3. Hi there Virginia, I've just found your lovely blog. After reading about your raised vege garden I had a brainwave. I've realised I have the ideal spot to put in a similar garden (an area which is currently used for our chickens). It is sheltered as it has walls to keep out the wind, and has easy access to water. Also the coop can be converted into a garden shed. It will work a lot better than my current vege garden which is on a slope and very exposed to the wind. So glad I read your post in time to get the new garden ready for the winter veg. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting to have a new plan for a veggie garden. Gardens are so much fun! Our garden went where it is because it's the flattest place we had as well :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...