Wednesday, 26 February 2014

planning, planning


I have a real thing for pretty sewing patterns. Actually make that pretty fabric and sewing patterns. They are my Achilles heel. I think I can safely say I have far more patterns than I am ever likely to sew up in my lifetime.

Surely that means I don't need any more. You know I'm kidding, right? What kind of crazy proposition is that? I'm not sure that I'll ever get to a point where my collecting phase of patterns is done. There are just so many sweet ones out there, especially when you're talking kid's clothes.

Some of my very favourite designs come from these Japanese books. Let's just ignore for a minute that all the sewing instructions are, in fact, in Japanese and concentrate on the pictures OK? These are so perfectly styled. They have cute, simple and stylish wrapped up. When I look at these books I want to make everything out of them.



Unfortunately, the one thing that is not so pretty is the pattern pages. Everything's crammed onto a page with the cutting and sewing instructions in Japanese. Also there are no seam allowances included in any of the patterns. So you have to add those yourself. Really not something you want to be doing with toddlers running around. Don't say I didn't warn you.

But you know what, for the designs I can overlook all those things. I've made a few things out of these books now and I kinda love the challenge of them. Like puzzles to put together. Puzzles that sometimes hurt your head, a lot. So for now I'm just planning, planning, planning all the things I'm going to make from these. Even tracing a few out. Hopefully my brain will be up to the challenge soon.

Want to know what's all kinds of awesome? Some of these books have been translated and are coming out in English now! I know, right?! There may be room on my shelf for a few more patterns yet.

14 comments:

  1. All your sewing has inspired me to sew something. I've just posted photos of a rag quilt I made for Sienna for her birthday tomorrow. I actually bought a pattern for a little dress and bought the fabric but the pattern has to come from Rockhampton as they didn't have one at Spotlight locally and unfortunately the pattern is still not here so I couldn't make the dress in time. So I've made a rag quilt which I'm so thrilled about. I put my sewing machine up in the study about 12 months ago hoping to sew but haven't really done anything except started a few triangles for a quilt but I did some and then I decided I didn't like the fabric so left it so I am thrilled that I started something and finished it all with only a couple of days. I have posted a reply to your comment about my sister over on my blog but thought I would mention it here too. She had the surgery today and from all accounts seems bright and chirpy although I'm sure she will be sore tomorrow. I am going to visit her tomorrow after she gets a good nights sleep as she had to be at the hospital at 6am. Thankfully my other sister drove her to the hospital this morning because Mum is away at the moment. She will have a year long road ahead but hopefully everything will be good. Our family has already lost a sibling (hit and run drunk driver killed my 17 year old brother in 1989) so this family does not want to go through that grief again). She seems to be coping pretty well but she is not looking forward to losing her hair as that is your identity and who you are but unfortunately she has no choice and we will just put one foot in front of the other and take one day at a time. Thanks for thinking of us. Check out my sewing on the blog. Kathy
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing your hair would be awful :( Sending her lots of healing thoughts!
      OK, Off to have a look at your quilt.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, planning - my most favourite part of sewing - so many possibilities..... ;-)
    Always makes me happy when others confess their fabric and/or pattern addictions - ood to know weare all in good company!
    (I have two translated Japanese sewing books - and had the out the other day too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! we recognise one of our own don't we :) I've been dying to have a look at the English versions of these books... I'd be right over to sticky beak if I was closer!

      Delete
  3. Look at those beautiful books....planning is exciting isn't it. So many wonderful things that you can make. I know that you are up for the challenge:) I cannot wait to see the photos:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely books! Just waiting to have a little bit of quiet time to get stuck into them :)

      Delete
  4. My long comment got lost in the blogosphere.
    Suffice to say I love looking at these kind of books too. the English translations don't seem to help much. If you have any troubles or any moments of enlightened clarity then be sure to share. I have two of the ones you've pictured.
    happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame the translations don't help much! I'd so love it if one of you guys with the translated version would show some pics of what those translations look like? Are they just super simple point form instructions with the same drawings? Please do tell :)

      Delete
  5. Do you order any fabrics on line? In particular I'm looking for flannel boy fabrics...there doesn't seem to be alot around. Regards Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I acutally buy most of my fabric online, because fabric shopping with 3 little kids (and big bolts of fabric) is rather challenging. I've bought from all over the place, never much flannel though, mostly I've bought that locally. I did buy a bunch of really good quality flannel a while back when they were selling it out cheap from Aussie store craftdepot dot com dot au. It's really bulky to buy from overseas so you need someone with cheap shipping (which is hard to find now).

      Delete
    2. Thanks I did find craft depot and they did have a few flannels but there's not a lot around that aren't for babies. I might go to the shop where I got Sienna's fabric from and get some there. I was wanting to get something cheaper than the usual $23 a metre fabric but I'll just have to run with it. Thanks for the info. Kathy

      Delete
    3. Kathy you could also try fabric dot com or quilthome dot com, they have more reasonable shipping rates for bulky fabrics from OS?

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I love the look of those Japanese patterns!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...