Tuesday, 11 February 2014

project mustard

It's probably quite obvious by now, that I am quite smitten with the whole bottling/preserving/canning affair. However, what you don't see in my pictures of pretty preserves is my husband's face every time I mention I'm about to embark on another round of "vacola-ing". 

He is supportive, oh yes, definitely supportive, but enthusiastic? Well, not exactly.

So when I mentioned that my next thing on the "to do" list was mustard, I was quite shocked when my husband took over the reins and decided it was to be his little preserving project. We all love mustard in this house. In fact, I haven't met many mustards I don't like and really the recipe seemed so simple that I couldn't believe this project would be anything but a raging success.

Unfortunately it was not to be. The first lot of mustard we made (yes we, I played kitchen hand) was a flat out disaster. A truly burn-your-insides-right-out-through-your-nasal-passage-can't-breathe-aching-belly-inedible disaster.

I'm sad to say that lot of mustard had to be binned. There was no rescuing it. This mustard in the picture was the second attempt. Much, much better and quite tasty (it's a beer and something mustard). However, it's still not drool worthy, much to my husband's disappointment and mine as well, as sadly he's thrown in his preserving towel.

But I'm not going to have it. I'm determined he will succeed. To get that man straight back on the mustard horse that threw him. I'm going back to the drawing board on this one. To be the little-engine-who-could.

We will make a stellar mustard. We will make a stellar mustard! Hmmm well, just as soon as my poor aching belly has had a little rest.

Yield: 2, no. 10 bottles and 4, no. 3 bottles of very average mustard.
Lessons learned: try a small batch of mustard first before buying 3kgs of mustard seeds.

8 comments:

  1. Mustard is tricky to get right.
    I made a batch this Christmas that was only salvaged by adding huge amounts of cream and honey to make it edible. But after letting it mature in the fridge it became quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we weren't the only ones who've had problems. Didn't think of the cream, but used heaps of honey in ours to try and make it edible. Ours might need many years to mature :)

      Delete
  2. I have always wanted to bottle mustard, one thing that I haven't had a go at yet. Yours looks good. i have been "stalking" you for quite a while, firstly on Flickr where I stumbled across your wonderful Fowlers bottles of tomato goodies and followed you a few years ago. I too am a crazy "Vacolera" and I love it. I partically also adore all the wonderful children's sewing you do, it's a credit to you.I too like you am fairly new to blogging and only began a few months ago, if you would like to visit you are more than welcome to stop by..
    You can find me at http://ouraussieoffgridheaven.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ozzibeth! Thanks for coming over to visit me at the blog :) I can see from your blog that you do lots of amazing bottling! It's always nice to find other people who appreciate a love a preserving. Looks like you have a pressure canner as well. One of those has been tempting me for a while!

      Delete
  3. I love canning but I have only tried jams and apple sauce so far. It never occurred to me to can mustard. I'm going to have to check out your other posts on canning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love preserving! So many things you can put in bottles ;)

      Delete
  4. You may find that the only thing it needs is a bit of time. I find mustard matures in the bottle, and it needs a few weeks to mellow. This French honey mustard is my favourite recipe at the moment, http://witcheskitchen.com.au/french-honey-mustard/, but I have a seeded mustard with thyme recipe that I go back to regularly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think you may be right about letting mustard mellow a while. Some may need longer than others!!! :D Thanks for the recipe link. I am going to go have a look!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...