Sunday, 2 February 2014

summertime weekends

Goodness this weekend went by in a blur. Am I the only one who feels like weekends are getting shorter and shorter?

It was full in the best kind of way though. Full of swimming to escape the heat, farm and family visits, gardening, cooking, a search for special wood, a little bit of sewing, a drippy ice cream or two and let's not forget eating. So much food coming out of that garden and kitchen of mine!

One of the things I really love about where we are now, is that on weekends we can get straight down to the business of living. No more watching the minutes pass by while sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic queues. We get to bypass all that waiting time and jump straight into the good stuff. And summertime is all about getting out there, despite the heat, and squeezing every last moment of those long days. Sleep comes later, much later on the weekends, when we all just seem to fall into bed, exhausted after a long, full day.





Last week was a bit a doozy. My first week as a school mum. I've vowed to be better prepared this week. The uniforms are ironed and the lunches planned out for the week with some special Back To School Muffins! A little bit of healthy yum for a growing schoolboy. Hopefully there'll be enough for the lunchboxes because the kids keep scoffing them.

I'm wondering, what do you mums out there put in school lunchboxes? How do you keep them healthy and interesting? I've started pinning some ideas over on pinterest, but any tips to help this newbie out would be greatly appreciated!

Back To School Muffins

Ingredients:
3 cups wholemeal self raising flour (substitute flours would be fine here)
1/2 cup grated cheese
2 zucchinis grated
1 large carrot grated
2 eggs
1 red onion
bunch of chives chopped finely
100 grams bacon
2 cups milk
1/4 cup olive oil

Here's what I do:

Cook the bacon and onion in a pan and allow to cool a bit. Add all ingredients in a bowl. Don't mix too much. Spoon into muffin trays and cook in a moderate oven (about 25 mins) until a skewer comes out clean.

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.




9 comments:

  1. Those muffins look great might have to make them myself. We had zucchini slice/pie the other night for dinner and my daughter took some cold the next day. The recipe is similar to your muffins. I make what we call pita chips using pita bread. I cut it up into small triangles sort of corn chip style by using the pizza cutta. Then spray it will olive oil and sprinkle chopped up fresh rosemary all over it and sea salt then bake in the oven until crisp. Just watch them so they don't burn and go brown. They can be stored in an air tight container. You can bake it in a slow 100 degrees oven for longer or maybe 160 degrees but stay by the oven to keep checking on them. Maybe 10-15 mins but just check it the first time you do it how long it takes in your oven. First year of school does take some adjustment that's for sure and the paperwork, and the calendar dates OMG it's endless. I also make batches of Anzac biscuits and freeze them in ziplock bags and just put them in the lunchboxes in the morning and they are always great. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Those are some great ideas!

      Delete
  2. Love the look of your weekend food! What was the potato dish? That looks yummy.
    Welcome to the school mum club :D Instead of filling up a big comment, I'll simply leave you a link from my blog with lots of lunchbox ideas, I hope they help!
    Warm regards
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lots of ideas over there! Thanks so much Jan. I'll get a chance to have a proper look later :)
      The potato dish was a potato topped pie and it was yum. Everyone gobbled it up.

      Delete
    2. Would have maybe helped if I actually left the link!! I'll blame school mummie brain :D
      http://agluttonouswife.blogspot.com.au/search/label/lunchbox%20dazzlers

      Delete
  3. You made us all very hungry just looking at your food photos:) Very attractive... and I can imagine it's a perfect food for your boy to take to school:) As homeschoolers, I never had the need for lunchboxes, but I've seen so many attractive "bento lunches" on internet posting, so ideal for children's lunchbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thankyou! I'm definitely going to start googling bento box lunches!!

      Delete
  4. I love the way your present your pie and salad, lovely photo. Those plates are just beautiful. They are the kinds of plates that I am always on the look out for, it's such a treat when you found them too.

    School lunch boxes you really have to think about what you are putting in them don't you, is it healthy, will the kids eat it, does it look yummy. I am having a good run right now the kids have eaten everything each day - how good does that feel as a Mum!!! Little dance in the kitchen good is how it feels. The muffins look great, I might have to add them into the mix next week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't make plates like these now do they? I have a collection of odd vintage plates that I've found at op shops over the years. They always make me smile :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...