Tuesday, 11 March 2014

a tale of two teapots



To be perfectly honest I had no intention of bringing these teapots home. On a recent op-shopping trip, I was actually out looking for something else. But these pretty little teapots caught my eye as they sat in the corner of the room. I looked them over and thought about how lovely they were, but reminded myself about my teapots at home.

Teapots were not what I was hoping to find that day. So I put them down and continued on my search. But I was drawn back to them and couldn't help but pick them up again and turn them over in my hands. And that's when I saw it. A little note stuck to the bottom of one of the teapots that read, For my granddaughter Alix.

I felt my breath catch in my throat, a heavy sigh in my chest. Needless to say, I held onto those two gorgeous little teapots determined they would not be left there on the shelf.

I'm not exactly sure what the story of these two little teapots is, but one thing I do know, at some point these teapots were well loved. The blue flowers pot has scratching over the base, which makes me think it was perhaps the favourite day to day teapot. The wildflower pot is almost like new, perhaps a special occasion teapot, only brought out when guests were around? Or maybe a treasured gift that sat in the cabinet on display? What is certain though is a grandmother considered them worthy of passing down, of cherishing for years to come. I do hope they've come to live at the right place.


25 comments:

  1. You know, I just love reading your blog. I'm so glad you gave these pots a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing that the little note has survived all these years. I remember that blue pattern from when I was a kid. I'm sure they'll be loved in your little home.....I myself don't drink tea but can appreciate a lovely tea pot. PS. I've done half the clipping/snipping on James's quilt today and will do the rest tonight so I can wash and dry it tomorrow. I can't wait to give it to him, I'll be just as excited as he will be and I know Sienna will be excited for him too. Will be taking photos like I did for Sienna. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my mum had some casserole pots with the same pattern!

      Delete
  3. I'm a sucker for nostalgia hence my over flowing 'crystal' cabinet - not much crystal but lots of my nan's cups, saucers and odds and ends. These teapots are just so cute! I wonder what their story is too......Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love to see your cabinet Jan, sounds like you have lots of treasures!

      Delete
  4. Oh...such a lovely tale! I also saw the 'soft spot' within you:) BTW, the cross stitch mat looks like they were meant to be together as a set too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cross stitch does look like it matches doesn't it!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I am so glad that you saw the note and have brought them home to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stand the thought of them sitting there on that shelf :)

      Delete
  6. Just saw these tea pots on IG. Happy to know a little more about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me would love to know the little pots' whole story. But another part of me worries I might not like the story. Sometimes it can be better just to wonder I guess.

      Delete
  7. My mother has 'labelled' everything too. When she gets mad at us, in turn, she relabels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. Passing things down is never straight forward is it. For big or little things.

      Delete
    2. Your Mum does that too?

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad that you saw the note and brought them home with you. I'm sure that they will become well-loved again, and they have a little story behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so pretty, they're hard not to love really. I'm sure there is a story as well!

      Delete
  9. This is such a lovely story. I recognised the blue pot immediately. It is Corning Ware Cornflower and my mother bought me a baking set of loaf pan, pie dish and roaster in the same pattern for an engagement present - 44 years ago! I am still using all three on an almost weekly basis. I treasure them and the original owner of your pot obviously did too. Enjoy every cup you drink from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely present Maureen, and so nice to know that you are still using them after all those years. They must be very well made (and looked after)! The cornflower is definitely a very pretty pattern.

      Delete
  10. Oh these teapots made me sing!!! My mom has one just like that blue one and it brings back the greatest memories!! I am so excited you popped by my blog! Yours is outstanding and I look forward to following along with you!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming and saying hi Nicole! It's so nice to find other gardeners who love it as much as I do :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog......which made me wander over to yours and I am so very glad I did. Absolutely love your blog, looking forward to following. Adore the tea pots Elaina xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaina! Love seeing what you are up to as well!

      Delete
  12. I love those teapots. What a find, I am glad that you brought them to be at home with you. They will be very happy indeed. It's often those things that you weren't looking for on your op shops days that are the ones that become most treasured:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always the way with op shops isn't it, finding things you weren't looking for! But most definitely happy finds.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...