Sunday, 23 March 2014

autumn garden week 2

When I first planted my garden I had so much fun documenting its progress, I thought it would be nice to do it again!

Throughout autumn I'm hoping to get out there at least once a fortnight, and take some snaps to keep a track of how everything is growing. The autumn garden is a lot slower than the spring garden, so the changes are likely to be a little less dramatic at this time of year.

I don't know about you, but I really love to look back at how my garden went over the season. Sometimes memories can get a little hazy, but those pictures, well they never lie do they! When you look back on the photos you get a really good sense of what did well and what didn't. It's also really useful for when you're planning next year's garden. In the past couple of years I've been using my pictures and garden notes as a reminder of how long certain plants took to grow, what pests I had to battle, what worked and what didn't. I also really love knowing exactly how long it takes for those seeds to turn into a harvest.

My plan is to put the pictures and garden notes up here on the blog, as well as posting them over on Rhonda's pinterest page. Anyone who wants to join in, feel free to jump on board and start sharing the progress of your garden! I know I'd love to see how everyone's gardens are coming along.




So here it is, week 2 of the garden. You can see how the garden looked last week here. No major changes yet, except for the peas which are growing like wildfire! The lettuces have probably doubled in size, and the brassicas are plodding along. Those cabbages, broccoli and cauliflower are always so slow. I remember getting really frustrated with them last year. It seemed to take forever for them to grow.

In terms of pests, I've already had some caterpillars on the seedlings, which I am picking off by hand. It's amazing how fast those bugs can find your plants isn't it? Something is also nipping off the leaves of my cauliflowers. I'm wondering if it's a bird that's finding its way through the cracks of our netting? This is one of the trickiest stages, as those tender seedlings are irresistible to so many things. Once they get a bit bigger and tougher, they hopefully won't be so appealing!

So how is your garden going? Have you taken any pictures I can have a sticky beak at?

12 comments:

  1. It already looks good, I'll bring my market basket by (virtually) to collect some of your goodies...I'm lagging behind in getting my garden sorted. I did say that last week that I would get to it but other things happened this week. Next time you are in the garden can you take a photo of your netting on the roof, or your set up from outside your garden just so I/we can have a better idea of how you've done the top. My friend is on acreage and she has seen your garden and loves it but of course wondering about the top. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I get asked about the netting a bit- I'll try and take some pictures and explain how we did it at some point- in the meantime, you can get an idea of the netting in this picture here
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/49182185@N02/8117887312/in/set-72157631185623144

      Delete
  2. Love your gardening posts! We are getting more snow this week. I don't think we can plant anything until May anyway. I have been daydreaming about a having a real yard and getting a greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. more snow? that is crazy! Spring has to be coming soon. It must be hard to grow things with such a short growing season.

      Delete
  3. Your space is beautiful! Look at all of that green goodness!!! I think that is a wonderful way to track your garden! We have nothing yet as we are still thawing but I do have some spring bulbs poking through! Happy growing friend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are finally starting to see signs of life! You've had a long winter this year :)

      Delete
  4. You garden is looking fantastic. I am afraid that I am way behind!! I keep looking at all of the weeds that need to be pulled out first and I have not done anything about it as yet!! Maybe I need to schedule a little time in the garden each day, thats an idea.

    Love the Pinterest idea too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get over that first bit isn't it! I looked at my garden a few weeks ago and thought exactly the same thing. I just worked on one bed at a time- one little bed never seems too daunting!

      Delete
  5. i am absolutely envious. i woudl love agarden as large and as well laid out as yours. it would be a pleasure to work in that garden.
    you may also want to consider participating in the garden share collective (which i'm a part of). it brigns together vegie gardenersfrom around australia, NZ, and the UK. i think you'd fit in well! have a look at http://www.strayedtable.com/grow/garden-share/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! Yes I'm hoping to get involved in the next round of the garden share collective!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Love your garden! I have only just discovered pintrest, so this is new to me. It is still very dry over here in the West, waiting for rain! I do my vegie gardens on a rotation with chooks which proves to work well. Summer is very hard on the garden, so I have to cover it in shade cloth which I have just removed. Still moving chooks out before I can start my Autumn planting. My little gardeners have done a good job of mixing in my manures and pea straw and adding a bit of their own whilst cleaning out any creepy crawlies! Thanks for the motivation to keep going! Gidge Chooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gidge! Summer can be tough in our garden too. Sounds like those chooks are doing a good job for you. Good luck with your autumn garden :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...