Sunday, 30 March 2014

autumn garden week 3





Isn't is amazing what a week of rain can do? The garden is growing like crazy now we've finally had some decent downpours. I love not having to water anything! Makes such a change to the last few months, which have been so dry. Such a great start to the growing season.

So the garden update week 3:

It's starting to look green out there! See week 1 and week 2 if you want to compare. The snow peas are just starting to climb up their fencing and the lettuces and coming along nicely. I think a few more weeks and we will be able to start picking the lettuces.

The only problem with rain and all day drizzle is it brings out the slugs, which are everywhere at the moment. I am picking them off, but there are so many I think I'm facing a losing battle.

They're sneaky those slugs. They've got secret hiding places in the garlic chives, basil and between the pak choy leaves. During the day they hide out, but come night time it's feast time. My little seedlings are looking a bit like swiss cheese. They seem to love the asian greens the most!

Despite the slugs, it's been a fantastic week in the garden. Couldn't be happier about the rain!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, your peas are doing great! It all looks terrific. Eww about the slugs. One of the ways I know that I don't truly have a gardener's soul is that worms make my skin crawl, and I'd rather let the slugs have my greens than have to touch them with my own hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is gorgeous! Congratulations on the amazing job you've done. I discovered your lovely blog two days ago and have been swooning over all your garden photos ever since. :) I'm in love with your metal raised beds - I've never seen anything like them here in the U.S., but I've already started convincing my hunky farmguy he can somehow fabricate some for me.

    Just out of curiosity, can you tell me the dimensions of them? And again, congratulations. You should be so proud of everything you've done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's so nice you found me! I loved looking around your garden as well (do gardeners ever tire of looking at gardens i wonder?). I think each of the little beds roughly measures about 90cm by 120cm and 30cm deep? The beds are pushed together in pairs so that area is 90cm x 240cm. I really like having them be relatively small areas. Makes them really easy maintenance (planting, clearing out, mixing in compost etc and easy to reach across to the other side). From what I can tell these types of beds are mainly an Australian thing, but I think they are easy enough to make yourself (out of corrugated roofing). My Dad made some that way and they are great!

      Delete
  3. oh look at those gorgeous peas! So green and lush!
    Things are still super dry where we live... we had a little rain last week but not enough to do anything but be swallowed up by the giant cracks in the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Hopefully you'll get your rain soon. Unfortunately I know the waiting part is frustrating!

      Delete
  4. I'm loving your garden too Virginia! It is all thriving. I love this style of garden beds and would really like some at our place, but can see that it will probably never happen. Good luck with the slugs. Have you tried beer? I think we did once and it worked. Just set up a glass or tin, slightly dug into the hole and pour in some beer. They are attracted to the smell, will fall in - with any luck they won't be getting out again. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain makes such a difference doesn't it! We have tried beer before, but it was when it was raining and the water washed it all away, so it didn't do much. I should try it again though :)

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks beautiful and so lush. It is wonderful how much things flourish when you have some decent rain and not having to water must be lovely after the long dry spell. Enjoy your Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! It's awesome not having to water, and it's amazing how much better the plants do on proper rainfall!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...