Sunday, 16 March 2014

clean slate




Well, the garden is finally in! I'm not sure there's any nicer place to be on a beautiful autumn afternoon than out in the garden, digging your hands in the soil. There's nothing like being out there when the heat of the sun has dropped to a warm glow. I've spent a bit of time over the last couple of days, pottering around getting everything into its place.

The beds were topped up with lots of composty goodness, along with a decent amount of manure and blood and bone. The plants have been tucked into their little beds, where I hope they'll be happy for the next few months, growing and plumping themselves up.




I've replanted the leeks which I direct seeded into the garden a couple of months ago. The garlic bulbs have also gone in. I'm growing the same variety as I did last year, from some of our saved crop. I have no idea what variety it is. It was given to me by a local farmer a couple of years ago and it grows well in our climate. They are lovely, big, white cloves. Great for peeling and eating.

I'm also madly trying to save some strawberry runners. They've gone mad in the last few weeks putting out runners. So I've filled a few pots with soil alongside the raised beds to allow the new little plants to take root in them. In a few weeks, those runners will be ready to plant out into a new bed. In our subtropical climate, the fresh plants tend to give the biggest crop of strawberries, so I'll try and keep as many runners as I can.



Amazingly those little pea seeds I planted earlier in the week are already sprouting, and it looks like I've had a really good germination rate. It's a little pea sprout forest out there. I might replant some of the excess seedlings along the fence. I'm hoping for a bumper crop of peas this year!



And here it is, in all its bareness, the beginnings of the autumn garden. I love that feeling of a brand new garden. When it's all full of possibility, a clean slate.

Now comes the really fun part. Watching it grow!

Tell me, how's your garden going? Are you getting your seeds out yet?

22 comments:

  1. Just wondering, is the 'roof' of your garden fenced in as well? Is that to keep the friendly possums out of your wonderful garden? Could you take a photo of it to show me as I'm thinking of doing the same when I get my garden going, melindi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melindi. Yes the garden is completely netted over the top (to try and keep the birds and possums out). It's strung up over some wires. You can kind of see the netting here http://www.flickr.com/photos/49182185@N02/8607867691/in/set-72157631185623144

      Delete
  2. I am waiting for some mini cauliflower in my garden at the moment. Will also be planting some 'Early garlic' this Thursday. Am thinking of planting some Tuscan Black Kale. The spouting peas are unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kale is so great isn't it! I'll probably grow a few varieties of it again this year!

      Delete
  3. Virginia, you can call me "nosey parker"...but I just can't resist and enjoy watching your garden..it serves as our inspiration:) I've planted our peas out and it's about the same growth as yours...but I think I should have done it a bit closer to each other as you've done...perhaps, I can slip in some more seeds in between?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun to look at other people's gardens isn't it! I can't wait to see yours :) You can probably slip in some more peas- I'll probably thin mine a little (as long as nothing eats them!) and I'll relocate the thinnings and grow them along one of our fences.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is so beautiful. I finally got my beds taken care of today (I am a very lazy gardener) and found a number of teeny tiny lettuces, a spinach plant, a few peas and some kale that made it through the winter. They were positively choked with weeds but I took care of that, freshened the soil and now I hope they will do ok. We are moving in a few months so I only planted lettuces, spinach, herbs and peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great that some of your plants survived! I hope you can get a nice little harvest before you have to move- where are you guys off to next?

      Delete
    2. We're headed back to the States, and looking to buy a house with a nice sunny plot of land for growing veggies!

      Delete
    3. Very nice! And how exciting to be heading home!

      Delete
  5. Your garden is outstanding! The space you have to grow all of this sweet yumminess is just wonderful! And look at those sprouts!! That is a sight for sore eyes...I would love to be out planting right now but winter returned for a bit today! Like you said...there is nothing better than getting your hands dirty in the garden!!! Happy gardening friend! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do hope spring shows up for you soon and you can get long enough for a decent growing season!

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to see those garden beds in 6 weeks time, it will look so different. It was 33 degrees here in Brisbane yesterday so no gardening for me....hopefully I'll get onto the garden this weekend coming. Thanks for letting me know about the message from Kate from Foxs Lane, I've emailed her now. I did have a laugh when I finally saw the message. Both my kids are loving the little doggie I made, even James thinks it's such a cute dog...I won't be making him one but he thinks it's adorable. No sewing for me I think until next week, sorting out my house this week. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, 6 weeks will make a huge difference! Hope it cools down so you can get your planted!

      Delete
  7. My favourite photo is the one of the peas poking their little "noggins" out of the soil. Eight of my snow peas have germinated. I have fond memories of being in the garden at about 4 years old with my great grandfather who was an avid gardener, and having my first ever taste of snow peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that you were able to garden with your great grandfather! What a great memory to have.

      Delete
  8. Looking very organised there. I'm not sure my raised bed garden will be done any time soon, although have cleared the area and got some timber ready to construct, just need the time and for a bit of help from hubby - I'm pathetic at construction, don't have the confidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I'd go building wooden beds either :) Definitely something I'd be asking my husband to help with! Hopefully you'll get your beds soon.

      Delete
  9. hello! i love this post and am totally in awe of your amazing garden. so beautifully green, lush, and ordered. i want one like that! you have also reminded me it is time to get organised for planting my garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I am most impressed with your Dad's tomatoes and how he manages to tame the wild beasts that they are!

      Delete
  10. Jeez, so in love with your garden, your raised beds are amazing xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much. Mostly they are cheapies from Aldi. Nothing super fancy, but they do grow things well :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...