Sunday, 2 March 2014

cleaning out the garden



Well we finally got around to the summer clean out of the garden over the weekend. Somehow it always ends up being a bigger job than you think it will be, doesn't it? I thought the garden was pretty much done for summer, but turns out there was actually a lot more food out there than I had realised.

Buckets of tiny wild tomatoes, beans, zucchinis, carrots, leeks, beetroots, eggplants and capsicums all had to be harvested before the clean up could begin. We'll eat what we can of that and I'll work to preserve the excess in the coming days. Except for perhaps the eggplant. I think we are well and truly eggplanted-out this summer. We've harvested bucket loads of them, cooked with them, made yummy dip with them and given away bagfuls to anyone who will take them. I was quite happy to yank those plants out. We could do with a break. See you next summer eggplants!


There's still a lot to be done out there, but I'm starting to feel like I might just get my autumn garden in after all. I love the autumn garden, almost as much as the spring garden. The cooler air opens up a lot more growing options.

I'm dreaming of peas now, mountains of sugar snaps, snow peas and perhaps some Massey Gem shelling peas. Oh, those things are pop-alicious, I can almost taste them already. They are our very favourite thing to grow, and a lack of frosts meant we could grow them most of last year. Somehow I'm not sure that will happen again this winter. I have a feeling the frosts might find their way back to us, so I'll plant an early crop we can hopefully harvest before the cold weather snaps.

OK autumn, you can come now! I think I'm ready.

5 comments:

  1. Not a bad haul of veggies on your clean out. Your tomatoes look awesome. Happy with the fabric I got for James quilt. I did pay the $23 a metre from the patchwork shop as spotlight didn't have anything suitable only baby flannel. What's with that! Anyway can't wait to make a start on it. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I expect spotlight's selection will improve as we come into winter and they get new stock, it's frustrating when you are looking for something and can't find it though isn't it!

      Delete
  2. Your gardening posts are so inspiring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! Is it warm enough to start a garden there yet?

      Delete
    2. We have a bunch of snow. I won't get to until the end of May. We live in a condo too so I just have a small herb garden and some pots. Someday we will live in a house and have a large garden. I can't wait.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...