Tuesday, 11 March 2014

planting peas in the garden

Peas!

I'm pretty excited, because I finally got some peas planted in the garden! They're our number one favourite thing to grow. Goodness, I'm already thinking about plucking those sweet, crunchy morsels from their vines. Of course, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, we're a couple of months off from that. But those first pea seeds are in the ground and a drizzly day got them off to the best possible start.

If you're thinking about growing something that's a crowd pleaser, peas are the way to go. They're pretty easy too.

All you need is something for them to grow up on, because those things love to climb. It doesn't have to be fancy either. We use some re-purposed sheep fencing that cost us nothing. But really you could use anything.

So how do you plant them? Well first I make sure my soil has a good amount of compost and manure. Then I like to plant them thickly, probably about 7cms apart (I don't really measure though, I kinda half throw them in) and all over the bed, not just in a straight line. I like to plant some extras, because they don't always all germinate, and birds and bugs love to eat the sprouts. Those sprouts that do make it, will grow upwards on your trellis, so you can plant quite a few in a small space. Lots of vines = more peas. Now, that's an equation I like!




Peas like good drainage, or the seeds can rot in the ground. You don't want to plant them too deeply either, no deeper than a few centimetres or you might start to get some germination problems. Some people soak their peas overnight before planting, to give them a good head start. I'm never that organised though (ahh perhaps one day!) and so far my peas have all sprouted just fine. As long as the seed is fresh it should be OK. So after you plant it, and cover it with soil you want to give them a good water in. Don't water them too much before they sprout, or they'll rot in the ground and you'll be mighty cross. Once they sprout though, give those little plants lots of water love.

The only other thing is peas don't love frosts, so if you get those you need to time your plantings right. The vines can survive a frost, but you might not get any peas. No peas = no fun. So if you're in a really frosty area it might mean waiting until spring to plant them.

Last year we managed to grow peas all through winter, because we only got a few frosts and they still cropped just fine. We're still some way off from cold weather though, so fingers crossed we'll have a good first, early crop.

So tell me, are you planting yet? Are you putting in peas? Do you grow them up a fence or something else? A pea teepee perhaps? I'd love to know.

4 comments:

  1. I love your garden. Have never tried growing peas even though I love eating them, didn't realise they were so easy to grow. Do you add anything extra to get the kids to eat them or just boil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi scrimpchimp! The kids eat them raw, straight off the vine! They'll also have them lightly steamed or stirfried as well. I try not to cook them to much, as we like them with a bit of crunch :)

      Delete
  2. I love fresh peas but have never grown them. I also like the sugar snaps where you can eat the whole pod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so good freshly picked from the garden! I love sugar snaps too :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...