Tuesday, 18 March 2014

ten things i love about living in the country







My internet connection has been truly awful the last few days. Snails-pace slow. The National Broadband Network doesn't seem to be making it to our neck of the woods any time soon. Lucky country living has lots of other things going for it!

So I thought it would be fun (and a good distraction) to make a little list, of just 10 things that I love about living in the country.
 
1. You can see the stars. After living in the city for so long, I was beginning to forget what they looked like. They're really incredibly amazing and put on the best light show almost every night. It never gets old.

2. The view of our pretty green hills.

3. You always wave to your neighbours when you drive down the road. It would be rude not to.

4. Farmers tend to have piles of old stuff around their properties. Some of that stuff is ridiculously awesome (and rusted).

5. The noise from my "neighbours" comes from cows mooing, crickets chirping, frogs croaking and cicadas ringing.

6. The prettiest afternoon walks ever.

7. Small town community events. Market days, festivals and fairs where they still have three legged races and jumping castles for the kids.

8. Big sheds. For storing all my preserving gear and gardening stuff.

9. Elderly neighbours who drive 30kms an hour down the road. No one gets cross at them for it or honks them. Instead they wave or pull over for a chat.

10. Servos that still fill your car up with petrol for you, while you wait in the car. Yes really!

15 comments:

  1. You have a great list there.
    Which got me to thinking about what things I like about living in the country.
    The first thing that springs to mind is that people who I know now share food they have grown in their gardens, and I have time to grow and share things too. Yesterday I received a watermelon when a girlfriend came over for afternoon tea.I sent her home with some tomato plants. On the weekend I baked some goodies when visiting, and came home with a dozen fresh eggs from the back garden. Last week I received an assortment of 3 different types of apples from a friend's backyard trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Definitely those are also awesome things about living in the country!

      Delete
  2. I love heather's comment from above....and I remember as a child when (in the city) they used to fill your car up with fuel......ah...the good old days in the city. The country just sounds so romantic (and I'm sure lots of hard work). Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds amazing. I have always wanted a country life but things are just keeping me in the busy city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are ups and downs to the country (just as there are to the city), and the country is definitely not for everyone! We like it here though :)

      Delete
  4. Agree 100% with your list! I love living in the country, not long after we moved in, I opened our letter box to find it crammed with freshly picked sweet corn! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a delicious welcoming gift! Yum!

      Delete
  5. Some of my favourite things too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for popping by Sarah Jane :) I really enjoy your lovely pictures!

      Delete
  6. Yep...I would say that those are all awesome things about living in the country! I remember those days. When I was young we lived in the country and then urban sprawl took place and farms started disappearing. I miss those days...enjoy every second! And beautiful photos friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the urban sprawl is happening everywhere isn't it. You are right about enjoying it while it lasts! I'm really pleased my kids are getting to experience it :)

      Delete
  7. i loev the textures and colours of all those rusted corrugated iron sheets and weather-worn timber palings. how beautiful.
    and i love the idea of number five :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't live real rural but it's a larger country town, 3 hours from the big smoke and I LOVE my local servo as they do drive way service and even check the oil and water for you!! It's a 2 minute walk to school and 3 minute drive to the main street where it would be riot if you couldn't get a park right out front of the shop you wanted to go into and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have to agree with 9/10 of your list. We don't get no. 10 here though! Had to laugh at no. 4 as we have piles of stuff (which may 'come in handy') on our farm too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...