Thursday, 27 March 2014

the autumn shift


I can really feel the days getting shorter at the moment. Yet why is it when the days gets shorter, there always seems to be more to do? It's strange how that works out isn't it.

The week has flown by here. Early starts, late nights. We had the most beautiful sunrise this morning, which I guess is one of the up sides to getting up in the dark. You get to see the sun wake each day. We're even managing to get some rain which is so needed. The garden is loving it.

The leaves on the trees might still be green, but autumn is beginning to show its face. A small hint of the change that is to come. Right now the days remain hot, but the nights are finally that little bit cooler. Just enough to add an extra blanket to the beds. Firewood is starting to play on my mind. We will have to start collecting it in the next month, so we are ready for winter. Winter clothes for the children need to be bumped up on The List as well.

Autumn is definitely my favourite season. Magical long sunsets, that seem to go on and on. Days with a warm glow, reflected off golden leaves. Windows closed earlier in the day as nights become crisp. Bedsocks and flannel pjs dug out of forgotten drawers along with a snuggly blanket and a nice warm cup of tea.

It's almost here, but not quite. We're at the in-between.


There's a hungry gap going on with the garden at the moment. It'll be a month or more before we have much that's ready to eat out there. The only thing I've got plenty of is asian greens and herbs and we are eating them everyway we can. I've even become a green smoothie person! I never thought I'd see the day. Each morning I blitz a bunch of greens up in my blender along with some fruit and a spoonful of manuka honey. Amazingly they do make you feel good!


The kitchen is an endlessly busy place. This week I've been making big batches of lunchbox goodies for the kids. Healthy muffins and mini quiches, which I cooked up in some of the novelty mini cake tins I have floating around. They've been a big hit with the kids. Teddy bear and love heart quiches? Yes please! When I do a big batch like this I just put them in the freezer. When I need them for the lunchboxes, just pull them out the night before and let them defrost in the fridge.

Also some pizza making going on. I dream of a woodfired oven to cook it in, especially on cold nights, but for now we do it on the Weber. It still comes up pretty good.



So are you feeling the autumn shift yet? Are the leaves turning golden where you are, or are you still in-between like us?

24 comments:

  1. You are one very highly organized mum...I am impressed. Wished I was as organized as you are when my girls were little...even now I have to use child labour to help in, in order to cope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm definitely not always organised! I do like to do big batches of things and freeze though as it really does help me out when I'm time poor :)

      Delete
  2. everything looks so amazing and yummy! and the sunrise picture is beautiful, a great way to start any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! It's been a while since I've seen such a nice sunrise!

      Delete
  3. I'll have some of that pizza to go thanks and the kids can have the healthy muffins. Your a wonderful mother and Sienna would love those heart ones. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little girl likes the heart ones too :)

      Delete
  4. There is just so much loveliness in this whole post beginning with the ethereal sunrise photo. Followed you over hear from 'beauty that moves' and have bookmarked your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose! Thanks so much for coming and saying hi! I'm a big fan of Heather's blog :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos - and the food looks amazing. That pizza with the olives ... and those quiches ... I'll be over in a bit, save some for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a spring shift here, different but equally beautiful ... that sunset is amazing.

    And the smoothie looks lush ... I'm now craving a foodie hit of green :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to be coming into spring! It's such a pretty time of the year especially the blossoms and their beautiful scent!

      Delete
  7. That looks all so beautiful - and yummy! We do weekly pizza and during especially busy weeks, it can feel like the only thing holding it all together. A wood fire pizza sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! The kids just love pizza night don't they!

      Delete
  8. Wow, there are so many things to comment on in your post!!

    What a wonderful vision to wake up to.

    That smoothie just looks all kinds of goodness - I need one of those to get me going in the morning.

    Yes, I am feeling the autumn shift and the coolness. We purchased a wood fire out of season (saved a lot of money) and my DH has to install it. He mentioned that he might do that by the middle of April because of the seasonal change. We too have been collecting firewood for the fire and the oven. DH like to go and chop his firewood, I might have to get him his own lumberjack shirt to wear when he does it:) He loves it so much.

    You are one Supermum - look at all of that delicious food. How cute are the tins, it would make me smile getting one of those in my lunchbox:) Your children are very lucky. Your pizzas look wonderful. I just wanted to say if it were possible, I'd share our wood fired oven with you, I would. Pizza night for us here tonight:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have a woodfire this winter! We always seem to underestimate the wood we need for heating our house in winter- it sometimes feels like an endless cycle of collecting of kindling and chopping. At least it's so readily available (and free) where we are! It's nice to be prepared though! Do you have a good source of wood for all your stoves?

      Delete
    2. I know it's very exciting that it is sitting here in the garage still in it's box!! We do have a good source of wood at the moment yes. We have access to a country property and we can chop down as much firewood as we need. We are heading up there on Sunday and so I imagine that we will come back with a trailer full of wood. It is going to be a busy day that is for sure.
      We are learning about drying out the wood and how this impacts the amount of smoke that you get from the outdoor wood fire oven. It's all a learning experience.
      As you say at least the wood is free, it's wonderful to have the access to it, saves money which is very important:)

      Delete
    3. Drying the wood makes a massive difference. Burns way hotter and cleaner :)

      Delete
    4. I wondered if I could please ask for your advice, I have to choose the tiles for the base for the heater and I was thinking of just a nice slate, is there anything in your opinion I should avoid or that would be better. I am thinking of the ash and cleaning. Just anything I should watch out for or take into consideration. We've never had a wood heater before:)

      Delete
    5. Sure you can! (But keep in mind I'm not a tiling expert!!) We asked our tiler for advice when doing ours and chose tiles that were dark and without too many grooves to make for easy cleaning! Fireplaces get filthy. They have to be approved (obviously) for using with a wood fire and we had to install insulation under the tiles to make it safe. Good luck! Woodfires have such a wonderful, warming heat :)

      Delete
  9. So many goodies in your post. I can taste your delicious looking pizzas.
    I never used to like autumn when I was younger.
    Now I am living a simpler life and have time to appreciate the sensory delights which the change of seasons brings, I enjoy it a whole lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when you are around nature it's impossible not to feel the seasons, don't you think? :)

      Delete
  10. Do you mind me asking how you keep your quiches from sticking? I used olive oil on my muffin tins and it stuck so badly still that I had to throw the whole thing out! :( Very bummed.
    Everything looks so delicious, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no melinda :( how frustrating. i'm sorry that happened. I do grease my pans really well with oil, but it's probably more to do with my quiche recipe. I add some flour to it, so it's not as soft as quiches can be (it makes it easier for the kids to pick up and hold to eat and it doesn't fall apart in their lunchboxes). It probably makes it easier to get out of the pans as well? I use a mini spatula to help ease them out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...