Saturday, 12 April 2014

a gaggle of greens in the garden


So I might have gone a bit overboard with the leafy greens in the garden this year.

Is that even possible, you might ask? Well until now, I didn't really think it was either. But this year, well I might have done it.

Just this week I found myself planting another 2 varieties of kale (which makes 3 types now- curly, tuscan and a new-to-me colourful edible variety). That's when I started to add them all up and realised, that's a whole lotta greens.





Apart from the kale, there's the range of silverbeet/chard I've got going on. Regular, bright lights and red leafed. Then there's regular English spinach and perpetual spinach, wild rocket and regular rocket as well as the asian greens (bok choy, pak choy and wombok). Let's not forget the 2 varieties of cabbages I've planted as well.

And lastly, the 4 (or was it 5?) varieties of heirloom lettuces I've put in?

I almost lost count. Could that really be 20 different types of leafy greens?? Did I miss any? Yes, I think we're definitely sorted in that department.

Hopefully the bucketloads of peas and broccoli I've planted will even it all out a bit. Perhaps I should have put in a few more beetroots and carrots as well?

Hmmm, apparently it's going to be a winter of salads and green smoothies. The challenge will be on to find new and exciting ways to cook them up.

Sheesh, let's just hope I haven't jinxed myself! Are you listening caterpillars, slugs and cutworms? Honestly, there's nothing to see here. You can move along now.

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.


12 comments:

  1. I was in the garden centre this afternoon trying to show restraint! I popped in to pick up some compost but came out with more seedlings. When I first started my vege garden I planted in loads of different varieties. Some took other didn't so I know what to try again next summer. I've now planted in my winter veg but know I will be sneaking in other seedlings..........just in case xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get over excited with my plantings too! I figure some are for the pests, some are for me :)

      Delete
  2. One way I love leafy greens is mashing it through my potato mash. I just did that actually, and it makes lively mashes during winter (though I cold eat them all year through). You can chop them, mash your potatoes (or sweet potatoes for that matter), and then spoon them in as they are, of you can 'melt' some shallots, and put the greens with them for a minute of two, and spoon it then through the mash. If you have that many varieties, it becomes very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. Especially when it's cold in winter!

      Delete
  3. Well at least you'll have some variety. I finally sorted out my veggie gardens last night and when I say last night at 4.20pm realized I needed to get some supplies from our local garden shop just 1 km down the road so we did that, got home finished weeding the beds (2 of them) and mixed up some good organic stuff with some compost and turned the old soil over, watered it in and put some mulch on top so we can plant next week. I'm a bit late to this party but I'm still joining in. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay Kathy! So glad you're getting your garden in. Looking forward to seeing what you grow.

      Delete
  4. I am guessing that all these wonderful plants will survive the winter, otherwise you wouldn't be bothering. You must have a good long growing season, now that would be wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really lucky, we can grow year round here! It doesn't get very cold, and the cooler months are actually our best growing times :)

      Delete
  5. That last shot is just perfection ... great photo and it has me feeling hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, I love to munch on greens :)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely assortment of greens! I love your message to the caterpillars etc. Hopefully they'll find a home somewhere else. Enjoy! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's always the hope isn't it Julie!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...