Wednesday, 9 April 2014

apple harvest


We harvested our first apple from our trees!

It might just be the biggest apple I've ever seen. Which is a good thing, because this one, lonely apple is possibly the sum total of our apple harvest.

The birds have been pecking apart the nets I've had protecting the fruit. Literally ripping them to shreds to get at the apples that were hidden underneath. I guess next time I won't be buying the $5 cheapy nets. Consider this my lesson learnt!


For small, recently planted trees they actually had a decent amount of apples set on them. I'll admit I was surprised about that. We took a gamble planting apples, as they're not supposed to fruit very well in our climate.

But I love the prettiness of the trees and the blossoms, so we put them in anyway. And by we, I mean my husband. I did all the buying of the trees whilst heavily pregnant last year. My husband had the pleasure of digging all the holes. At least, I kept assuring him it was a pleasure. Certainly compared to the pleasure of birthing a baby anyway.

Sadly I'm not sure we're going to eat any more than this one. No one wants to miss out on a bite either.

Fair enough. Hand me the knife, sharesies it is.

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.


12 comments:

  1. Wow, that is certainly quite an apple! Hope it tastes as good as it looks! Your birds have been pretty determined to get to the rest of your apples. I wouldn't have guessed that would tear your netting apart. Live and learn! Wishing you a nice day!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Christina! Those birds are crazy determined. A learning lesson for sure! That's the thing with gardening isn't it? I'm not sure I'll ever stop learning!

      Delete
  2. It looks like an amazing apple which will be a shared family memory. I would have thought the nets would have protected them but obviously not. I love the royal "we" and I think planting trees would be far easier than birthing you're children. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good Kathy. It was super crisp fresh off the tree!

      Delete
  3. You grew an apple, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! yes, singular, not plural unfortunately... perhaps next year :)

      Delete
  4. Ha! I grew a single cantaloupe last year and felt the same way! It was about the size of a softball but I was still proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are one up on me :) I have never grown a rockmelon/cantaloupe!! I would be proud too.

      Delete
  5. Well that apple is just the most beautiful apple I have seen! Darn birds though I can relate as I prepare for the spring garden....we have a bit of rambunctious squirrels in the garden who have no problem digging up and eating whatever they see fit!!! A wonderful day to you!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole. I love the birds, but they do seem to think the garden/orchard is their personal pantry! I can't imagine squirrels in my garden- I imagine they're a bit sneaky too.

      Delete
  6. I hope the apple tastes as good as it looks! You'll have something to look forward to next year then :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...