Friday, 4 April 2014

april: garden share collective





Well what a big month March has been in the garden! It's gone from looking overgrown and scruffy to being tidied up and completely replanted. The summertime plants have been cleared and the new cool season seedlings have gone out.

We've had some amazing rain, which has been a huge relief for the plants (and also for me- I was getting sick of all that watering!)

The final list of new plantings is
- peas (3 types, massey gems, snow peas and sugar snaps)
- broccoli (2 different types)
- cauliflower
- cabbage (red drumhead and january kings)
- kale
- spinach
- silverbeet
- rocket
- mixed heirloom lettuces
- onions, spring and red onions
- leeks
- new herbs
- carrots
- beetroots
- radishes
- garlic

I'm already battling a few pests out there. Mountains of slugs, and a few caterpillars are putting holes in the new seedlings. Really hoping I can get those under control before they cause too much of a problem. Will bring out some beer traps and grapefruit halves and see if they help at all.

Unfortunately, just today I discovered a few seedlings gnawed off at the stem. I think it might be a return of the dreaded cutworms, which showed up last year. Those critters are horrible and there's no rescuing a plant once they've had their way with it. I'll be digging around in the dirt to see if I can find the culprits.

Snow peas 3.5 weeks after planting. They're really starting to climb!



Harvesting
This past month has seen us harvesting a small crop of early (or late, depending on how you look at it!) strawberries. Loads of pakchoy, which is making its way into green smoothies and stirfries every day, basil and coriander and a few other herbs.

It's one of the hungriest times in the garden, as we wait for the new crops to come in and start producing. Next month should be a different story!

Collecting strawberry runners off the old plants.

So what's still left to do?
I've been collecting strawberry runners off the old plants and I still really need to get those out into a new bed. The old strawberry beds and the strawberry gutter need clearing out and replanting as well.

I want to clear out one of the basil beds (I have 2 beds full of basil- yep, we like basil around here!) and replant with some new seedlings.

I'll also be keeping an eye on those weeds as this is the crucial time to stay on top of them, when the plants are small. I don't want anything competing with my plants and it's always easier to keep on top of weeds while they're tiny. Before they become a problem.

And that's a wrap on this month in my garden! Looking forward to seeing what's going on in your veggie patch!

My very first time joining in with Lizzie and all the other great gardeners over at the Garden Share Collective. Lots of lovely gardens over there, make sure you go check them out!


Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.

http://www.strayedtable.com/grow/garden-share/

40 comments:

  1. You are rocking it! And your veggies that you are growing are just awesome! I hope those pests leave your crops alone....I have never heard of that type of worm before?!? I will have to link up to this when I have something to share! Have a great weekend friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I'm looking forward to seeing your garden grow!

      Delete
  2. Your garden is wonderful, I am looking forward to the day when mine is that green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see your garden! You live in such a lovely green part of the world :)

      Delete
  3. What a great looking garden it is! Wishing you a good year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I hope you also have a great growing year!

      Delete
  4. Looks fantastic! The snow peas are beautiful, climbing away! Our dog keeps digging up our raised garden beds! But I have high hopes that soon enough ours will look as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, hopefully your dog will lose interest soon :(

      Delete
  5. Your garden is looking bountiful! Hope that you can stay on top of the pests and weeds. Isn't it amazing how much faster weeds seem to grow that food plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it amazing! I guess that's how they become weeds- they are so efficient at growing and seeding!

      Delete
  6. Howdy :D Welcome to the GSC :D Your garden looks wonderful, I'm a bit jealous of how tidy it is. I've been clearing our top garden today and I got so hot I had to come in and take a break. Looking forward to catching up each month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearing out is always a big job isn't it! Feels good once it's done though :)

      Delete
  7. Welcome to the the collective... and WOW, what a beautiful, spacious vege patch. I'm looking forward reading about your kitchen adventures too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, you have lots happening in your garden. It looks fantastic! Love all those raised beds. Cutworm? Must check these little suckers out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you don't get to experience cutworm. They are horrible things that eat your seedlings off at the stem and live in the soil.

      Delete
  9. Your garden looks fabulous and I look forward to reading about it and seeing how you get on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun getting to look inside each other's gardens isn't it!

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness your garden is as productive as it is pretty! What a fabulous space you've created. Very much looking forward to seeing your garden month by month :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! I love your guerilla verge planting!

      Delete
  11. Hi! Love your little veg garden and reading about what's growing now for you. It all looks so well kept and tidy! Here in the UK we're also having a 'hungry gap' as we come out of winter and can start sowing. With luck and planning, we have broccoli, kale and rhubarb at the moment and salad leaves beginning to grow. Hope you manage to capture all the pesky cutworms and slugs. I find it's best to pick slugs off at night and pop them into salty water - and I've been finding plenty of baby slugs and slug eggs in my patch which I've destroyed! Looking forward to reading more of your blog! Caro in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caro :) Yes, I've been out with the torch a few times. Some always manage to elude me though, sneaky things they are!

      Delete
  12. What a pretty and orderly garden space you have! Welcome to the Collective and thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyrstie! It's been such fun looking at everyone's gardens!

      Delete
  13. hey its my first time join in in too and my first time visiting your blog! what a wonderful garden you have! your snow peas look great! Ours just went berserk a few weeks back and we are already enjoying snow peas…although they never make it back to the kitchen! Off to have a peak around your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! I know what you mean, our peas are often demolished in the garden as well!

      Delete
  14. Your garden looks fantastic... if those photos were in a magazine, I'd be ripping them out so I could keep them and try to create something similar at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, what a nice thing to say! Thank you so much, your comment has made my day :)

      Delete
  15. You're growing some lovely crops, what great meals you have to look forward to. It all looks beautifully laid out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea- hopefully we'll have some more harvesting happening soon!

      Delete
  16. Do you get a lot of strawberries? I love the last photo, the strawberries in the gutter on the fence look like they love the spot as well. We'll done, what a fabulous space, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get a decent amount, when I can keep the bowerbird off them! The ones up in the gutter do well as the slugs don't find them up there!

      Delete
  17. oh wow wow wow - your veggie garden is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your garden is looking fantastic, all planted out and ready to go for winter. Glad you too got some rain. Your snowpeas look rather great, I really must remember to get some in this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain's been awesome hasn't it? It's made such a difference for us and our tanks :)

      Delete
  19. You truly have a stunning garden, so neat and organised - I dream of such a garden. And two beds of basil, wow, you really must love it. We finally got some rain here yesterday and today - and set to continue for the rest of the week. As you said, such a relief, water for the seeds and seedlings I've just planted and more for the tanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Barbara! We make lots of pesto with the basil, enough to freeze to last us until the basil will grow again. So glad you got some rain, it's always such a relief when you need it!

      Delete
  20. Wow, your garden is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...