Sunday, 13 April 2014

autumn garden week 5

Ptooey, to whoever made up that saying, as exciting as watching grass grow! I beg to differ. It might not be exactly grass, but watching my garden grow is some of the best entertainment I know.

What's that you say? I need to get out more? Well, judgey wudgey how about you come around and have a look for yourself.

Ta da! Here it is. The garden, 5 weeks after the autumn planting. It's finally starting to take off. Will it be as productive as it was last year? Jury's still out on that one. All I can say is watch this space.


So it might be a bit nerdy, but I've been having heaps of fun comparing the autumn growth with the spring growth. So easy to do when you've taken photos week by week. Dang that spring garden was fast!

The brassicas are easily the slowest growing things, but it's not always about finishing first now is it? Some things are worth waiting for.

Surprisingly we've started picking some sugar snap peas, which have come on really fast. We're also harvesting radishes, asian greens and plenty of herbs. The lettuces still need a little more plumping up before they'll be ready, but another week or two and they should be looking pretty good.

The snow pea vines are massive, but still no flowers. I'm getting a little bit excited about the pea crop already. I'll need to do a second planting of them in the next couple of weeks to make sure we have some succession plants. I really can't cope with the idea that we might run out of peas. Woah, I had a little freak out, just thinking about it.  
Breathe. Will Not Happen!

On the pest front, it's turning into a battlefield out there! Lots of caterpillar carnage. Each day I'm picking a handful off my plants and feeding them to the birds. Take that you pesky munchers!

I've also got some black aphids attacking my chives and garlic chives. To be perfectly honest I'm not too sure what to do about those. Unfortunately wishing on the evening star doesn't seem to working. What?! Don't say I didn't warn you. So yes, I'll have to come up with a plan to deal with those asap. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!

The cheeky birds are still sneaking through the cracks of our netting and eating off the purple cabbages. Apparently they're super tasty, although it's possible I'll never find out! I may have to replant a second lot of seedlings if they attack too many more. Shoo birds shoo!

Despite the warzone, the garden's coming along nicely and I'm pretty happy with how it's growing. So whaddya think? Better than watching grass? I think so!

If you want to get the full play-by-play, you won't want to miss the first few weeks. Best you be checking out the Autumn garden week 1, week 2, week 3 and week 4.

Right then, as you were.

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.

26 comments:

  1. It is exciting watching things grow! I'm the same. I stand and look at my gardens for ages, then I wander over to the chickens and stare at them. My family think I'm a bit nerdy, and I'm ok with that! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes, I recognise a kindred spirit when I see one :)

      Delete
  2. WOW. You're garden is amazing compared to mine, ha! This is awesome, everything looks so clean and tidy, well done! I hear you with the caterpillars, just picked a couple this arvo. They're biting into my salads seedlings :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how those caterpillars seem to find you whereever you are, regardless the size of your garden!

      Delete
  3. Something I tried on the aphids on my roses this year was a tomato leaf concoction.
    It worked!
    You just chop 'em up and soak them.
    I'm not sure if you will be able to get your hands on tomato leaves at this time of year - maybe just.
    Here's the link:
    http://organicgardening.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/spraysforaphids.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for that. I haven't had black aphids before, so I haven't had to deal with them before. I'll definitely try that tomato leaf solution!

      Delete
  4. Man what do I think?!?! I think that it is a stunning sight!!! OH MY!!! It is just lush and beautiful! What I would do to have all of that space! A happy growing week to you friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours will be looking lush before you know it! I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

      Delete
  5. Wow check out all that gorgeousness! I would totally be pulling up a chair with a cuppa and watching those beauties grow! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan to me Sophie :)

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks great, have you thought about lace/net curtains from the op shop to put over your beds that need protection from the caterpillars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Maria. I do actually have some nets somewhere, I really need to find them!

      Delete
  7. What beautiful garden plots. Everything looks so lush and green. We let the chickens free range every afternoon and they seem to take care of the caterpillars plus a little tomato dust occasionally. They are every gardeners' nightmare. Your lettuce, strawerries and peas are divine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Merryn! We've had some rain, which has helped the garden enormously.

      Delete
  8. I really love that veggie garden, it's awesome you certainly have the gift! I use a spray for my caterpillars and it's made from garlic, onions and a teeny bit of detergent. Found you blog on DTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice you found me Sue :) I love Rhonda's work!

      Delete
  9. i would be so excited to watch if that was my garden. it's wonderful, and i can understand your excitement!
    blackbirds are my biggest pest, they scratch out everything and eat my tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some problem birds too, so I feel your frustration :( As much as I love the birds, it's not fun when they start treating the garden like a constantly raided pantry.

      Delete
  10. Your veggie garden is looking fantastic! Are they strawberries is the trough along the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read that your beds are Aldi ones. Are you still happy with their quality and durability? I'd like to fix up some of our garden and this looks workable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! yes they are strawberries up in the gutter- they grow really well up there! I wrote about that little experiment here
      http://www.ock-du-spock.com/2014/01/youre-growing-that-in-what.html

      The Aldi beds have been really good actually. I have 2 types in the garden, some the hills brand (which are a little more $$), but mostly aldi beds. There's not too much difference between the two. The Aldi ones might not be quite a solid, but they are still really good little beds.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! l will keep an eye out for when they sell them again.

      Delete
  12. Love your blog and your garden! What about planting some things to attract the good bugs and they will eat the bad bugs? Try www.greenharvest.com.au and look for Good Bug Mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nelly. I actually do have quite a few beneficial flowering plants around my garden already. Unfortunately the good bugs don't seem winning the war just yet :(

      Delete
  13. Wow, your pictures cant be better! The colours ... im in love! I ve just followed you so i will be here for a while reading :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Noelia! It's so nice to have you here :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...