Sunday, 27 April 2014

garden update: week 7


One thing I love about gardens is that once they're planted they just go on their merry way growing along. While I've been caught up enjoying the school break, the garden hasn't slowed down. It has been powering away.

The snow peas are towering over their trellis. Lettuces are now ready for munching on. Crispy radishes are making their way into our salads. We've been picking the first of the sugar snap peas and the garlic has already poked its head up from under the soil.

The brassicas (kale, broccoli and cauliflower) are finally putting a bit of growth on, although those cabbages are still dragging the chain. Patience, patience, I know.



Unfortunately I haven't really got any further along on my To Do list. The strawberries still haven't been replanted. They're turning into a bit of a jungle and I need to just bite the bullet and rip them out so I can get the new runners in.

The basil beds also need clearing and replanting  I'm sure it will happen at some point. All in good time though.  
All in good time.

On the pest front, I've finally got on top of those black aphids you might remember were attacking my chives and garlic chives. I tried a few things, but in the end Eco oil delivered the goods. The chives are much happier for it. I'm going to try some of it on my citrus trees now where they've also been setting up house.

Hit the road aphids, and don'tcha come back no more! 


I've got to say, it's nice to be finally eating from the garden, after a long hot summer. Nothing ever beats fresh veggies picked straight from the garden and those peas, well they are one of the finest perks.

It's a gorgeous time of the year to be pottering around the garden. My new afternoon routine sees me take a little detour there each day. Just as the sun is setting, I like to stand back and take it all in under that warm autumn glow. Munching on a few peas as I go, of course.

Yep, life isn't too shabby. Not at all.



Want to see how my garden has been progressing? You can check it out week by week.
Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Week 5.


Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.

15 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking divine, snow peas are stunning. I would love your space, I'm looking for space to squeeze things in my small backyard at the moment and am about to plant some radishes in a tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids recently grew radishes (and carrots) in pots and they grew really well :) It's pretty amazing what you can grow in a small space actually!

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks wonderful and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly it goes from nothing to something. Your garden is amazing. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do grow quickly don't they! Being able to eat from it within a couple of months from planting is a huge incentive as well.

      Delete
  3. You must have the perfect conditions for growing in the last seven weeks you garden has become so lush and green. Mine is growing too but much, much more slowly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really lucky to live in a good growing climate! Spring growing is even faster than the autumn garden too.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is beautiful! I got a late start over here so not much going on...yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never Lori :) It'll grow soon enough!

      Delete
  5. What's the Eco oil? I'm hoping to start a proper veggie patch next year -- right now we've got a few flowers and beans in pots in different spots in the yard, trying to figure out which areas get the most sun. Last year we lost 100% of everything to bugs, birds, squirrels ... but we were also 100% undefended and uninformed. Trying to read up and learn a bit this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be an Australian product? It's organic and made from plant oils and really good at getting rid of the aphids. Not sure if you can get it in other places? You can see a bit more about it here
      http://ecoorganicgarden.com.au/products/pest-disease/eco-oil/
      It's really frustraing when you lose your garden to pests. There are few things you can do to protect your plants naturally! It's worth reading up :) I'm constantly reading!

      Delete
  6. The garden looks fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! Hopefully yours will be green and flourishing again soon :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, I am just catching up and how fantastic does your garden look. Well done for all of your hard work:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...