Tuesday, 8 April 2014

hot cross buns for easter



When I was I growing up Easter was definitely my favourite holiday for food. As much as I love chocolate, my most awaited treat was a steaming hot cross bun straight out of the oven. My mum's homemade hot cross buns, halved and buttered.

I loved to peel the cross off the top and pick out the cherries and set them to one side. I'd then devour the bread and sultanas, licking the sticky glaze from my fingers. Then it was time to move onto the cherries, which I'd eat one-by-one before polishing off the chewy cross as the grand finale.

I'd be lucky to get more than 2 homemade hot cross buns over Easter and, believe me, I waited all year for them. My siblings and I would each count out how many cherries we'd managed to score in our buns to see who got the most. It was always a good day when your bun was the cherry winner. Let's not talk about the times when there was no cherry in the bun. Sad faces all around.

I suppose that's where these buns came from really. The need to make sure every bun is a cherry winner! So many cherries, that everyone's happy. Who doesn't love a smiling face at Easter time?
 







Hot Cross Buns (with extra cherry goodness)!

Ingredients:

4.5 cups strong bread flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons mixed spice
50 grams melted butter
1 egg
1.5 cups milk
1.5 tablespoons yeast
1 cup sultanas
0.5 cup currants
200 grams glace cherries (cut in half)

How I do it:

Warm the milk slightly, add the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar and wait till it starts to froth a bit.

While you wait, sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the sugar and dried fruit. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix till it starts to come together. Turn the mixture out on the bench and knead for about 15 minutes, until the dough gets a stringy appearance when pulled. Roll dough into a tight ball and place in a bowl in a warm spot. Cover it with a tea towel. Wait until the dough has puffed up to roughly twice the size it was.

Then turn dough out onto your bench. Cut the dough into 24 equally sized pieces. Roll into tight balls and place in your tray.

Cover them up and place back in your warm spot until they rise.

When they've puffed up, you need to make your cross mixture. I usually take about 3 tablespoons plain flour and mix in enough water until it reaches toothpaste consistency. Place mixture into a plastic bag. Snip off a tiny corner from the bag and use it to squeeze cross lines across your buns. If you work quickly, your lines are neater.

Bake in a 180-200 degree oven (depending on how hot your oven is) until the buns are brown on top and sound hollow when tapped- about 30 mins.

While they are hot I brush them with a sticky glaze, but this is optional, they are delicious just like this.

The sticky glaze is made by dissolving 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup of water and 1 heaped teaspoon gelatine in a saucepan over low heat.

The holidays are coming up so fast, that I'm madly scrambling trying to get everything organised. At least we'll definitely have buns for Easter this year!

How's your holiday shaping up? Big plans? Or lazy days filled with chocolate and buns?

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.

28 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I am an avid consumer of hot cross buns but have yet to make my own, this is the Easter I do it. Will try your recipe and let you know how I get on xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do let me know if you try them :) I hope you like them!

      Delete
  2. I love the hot cross bun too, I have to confess that I love it so much I use the recipe to make bread with all year round. We call it Hot Cross Bun Loaf here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! The kids would love it if I did that!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this receipe Virginia - I'm almost tempted to go back to baking even though I have almost given up. This looks very tempting! cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit tempting- I have trouble resisting them!

      Delete
  4. They look great. James made some with my help last year and we want to make some more. Your recipe looks great. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James sounds like quite the big helper in the kitchen Kathy! It's so great you are teaching him to cook.

      Delete
  5. These look fabulous!! I'm definitely making these when I get back from holidays as I've never made hot cross buns!! I've never heard of cherries in hot cross buns but love the sound of them. It's funny what memories certain foods give us, I remember as a kid having them toasted with lots of butter and eating the top first and savouring the bottom as it was my favourite part. :D Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my mum just started putting cherries in them because we loved them so much. It's a tradition that has stuck :)

      Delete
  6. Your hot cross buns look delicious! So much better than the ones in the store.
    I have been making my own hot cross buns for a couple of years now. I make the dough in my bread maker and then divide into buns and bake them in the oven. I made some yesterday to great sounds of delight from my husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about that Heather! I don't eat store bought ones, it's too hard to go back!

      Delete
  7. Will give these a try, thanks for sharing the recipe, girls will love the cherries, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum and thank you for sharing. I'm going to be making some soon too. I found you via the Garden Collective and I've joined ready for next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your garden next month!

      Delete
  9. Yum, yum, as a glaced cherry fan, these look fabulous. PS just found your blog from the garden share collective, will be trawling through your archives I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming and saying hi Barbara! I had so much fun looking at your wonderful harvest pics.

      Delete
  10. Hi Jan, pop over to my blog I've nominated you for a "Sunshine Award" and I've highlighted your blog as one I enjoy reading. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if this message was for me or Jan! Checked your blog and perhaps it's for both of us? :)

      Delete
  11. These look simply delicious, I must try your recipe. Cherries are not something I've tried in hot cross buns before. Always looked forward to one of my mothers straight from the oven at Easter time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know if you do try them :) Cherries aren't for everyone, but we love them.

      Delete
  12. AMAZING! I just want to eat my computer screen they looks so good! If we get another day of ALL rain again tomorrow, I'm bunkering down and making your hot cross buns! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lovely rain! Baking in the rain sounds pretty awesome to me. I hope you enjoy them if you do make them Brenda :)

      Delete
  13. Looks and sounds wonderful. I have never made them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, we're a bit mad on them in our house :)

      Delete
  14. These are so yummy! Would I be able to put the recipe & a link to your blog on my blog page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your message! That's fine as long as you say that it's my recipe and clearly link back to the blog :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...