Monday, 28 April 2014

pomegranate harvest




We spent some time over the break harvesting the pomegranates. It's easy to feel like royalty, laden with jewels, when you start to crack them open. They are spectacular to look at.

Food of the gods? A superfood? Pomegranates have been given all kinds of labels over the years. There's no denying these gorgeous fruit are packed full of goodness. But they are also all kinds of sweet and sour yum.

They're pretty easy to grow in Australia, they seem to like our hot climate. They do take a few years to put on fruit, but they're a nice tree to look at with sweet little red flowers. The only annoying thing is the fruit fly like them as well. Amazingly that thick skin doesn't put the flies off at all. So you have to be careful about those.

I've been successfully netting many of my fruit trees with fruit fly nets over the past couple of years. I'm not sure how they'll work out long term, but so far so good. Fingers crossed.

I'm pretty excited by this harvest. So many possibilities. Salads, cocktails, juice. I'm off to do some concocting. Hopefully I'll be back with some goodies to share soon.

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.


17 comments:

  1. Very pretty looking fruit too:) You're so blessed with what you grow there....our pomagranate have been with us for 3 years now, don't know if it will give us fruits one day, but at least it is still alive:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely lucky! Your pomegranate may fruit yet- if it's alive it's a good sign :)

      Delete
  2. I started thinking you were going to hold out on giving us the "money shot"!
    Beautiful images of a lovely fruit. My son tried one for the first time at Easter and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a bit of anticipation eh? It's always such a surprise when you crack them open though! So many beautiful seeds in a little round ball.

      Delete
  3. Wow what a great looking fruit. Wish we could grow them here (NE US), we eat a ton of them in the winter. Can't wait to see what you do with them? Do you preserve them in some way or just eat fresh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment I'm playing around with them in different things. We're eating them so quickly there won't be enough to preserve. Perhaps next year :)

      Delete
  4. Sigh! I planted a superb young specimen about 5 or 6 years ago and still no red flowers! I really thought this year might be the year. I adore pomegranates and can't wait to harvest one day, in the meantime the bush gets a little bigger every year and in the autumn the leaves turn a lovely shade of gold next to the bright red of the turning blueberry bush....ALSO taking an age to grow and bear....sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's disappointing Tanya. I wonder if it's warm enough in Tassie for them to fruit? If it's alive and growing it's always a good sign. The waiting can be frustrating though :(

      Delete
  5. It's a stunning fruit that's for sure....Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they are pretty special :)

      Delete
  6. Yep...your photos are gorgeous and how awesome to be able to grow these beauties!!! Just so amazing in every way!!! Wishing you a wonderful week pal! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nicole! I love that we can grow these, such a special fruit.

      Delete
  7. I am a rather new reader but I am so enjoying all the lovely things you post! This is going to seem a silly question but these only show up in my part of the world during the Christmas holidays. I buy them for decoration because they are so lovely to look at....last year I tried to eat one without much success.....Is there a way to remove those jewel like bits easier than gouging them with a spoon?? Thank you, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! There are a few ways you can pull them apart. It's really popular now to cut them in half and then bang them on the back with a wooden spoon, emptying the seeds into a bowl. I actually like to cut them a tiny bit at the top of the fruit and break them up with my fingers. They have segmented sections (kinda like an orange) and I like to break them into sections. The seeds come out easy that way as well.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! Amy

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! You lucky thing, I love those little jewels and how they pop in your mouth. Can't wait to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am having fun playing with them :) They are yum!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...