Thursday, 17 April 2014

this week in my kitchen









Autumn has well and truly made its way into my kitchen this week. Nothing quite like roasting up root veggies as the weather starts to cool. Turning them into a tart = instant crowd pleaser!

Joining in again with the lovely Heather of Beauty That Moves. Her kitchen is always such an inspiring place. Go over and say hi, and make sure you check out all the other great kitchens as well!

Want to see what was happening in my kitchen last week? Or the week before?


How to make my Roast Vegetable Tart:

For anyone wanting to make these tarts they are really simple. It's all about the vegetables, so choose things you like and that also roast well.

This time I used sweet potato, pumpkin, zucchini, yellow squash, capsicum, tomatoes cut into wedges, red onions cut into wedges- mixed with some fresh herbs and a little olive oil. Roast until they're cooked through.

Grease your pie dish. I actually use flan baking dishes with a removable bottoms. It makes them really easy to get out.

Blind bake some shortcrust pastry in your greased pie dish (you can use bought or make your own) in a 180 degree C oven. Prick it all over the bottom first. You need to bake for the first 15 mins with some paper on top of the pastry with some weights (baking beads - or I actually use some old dried beans which work great as well). Then remove the weights and paper and cook till pastry is golden.

Spread the bottom of the pastry shell with some pesto (I use some of my homemade pesto), spoon your veges on top. Put the odd spoonful of pesto in amongst the veges as well and bake for another 15 mins or so.

It's yummy eaten hot or cold!


Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.

54 comments:

  1. That looks so good!
    (I use split peas but I would love some fancy ceramic beads)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love some beads too :) Perhaps one day!

      Delete
  2. Your food looks almost too pretty to eat! Thank you for sharing the recipe, I will be preparing this dish as soon as my squash is ripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great to be growing squash! Home grown always tastes so good.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that vege tart looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at your vegetable tarts - they are beautiful, delicious, and nutritious. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Enjoy your season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love autumn. Such a lovely time of year.

      Delete
  5. Those tarts look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family is coming to stay for the weekend and cooking meals to suit a variety of preferences (no fish, vegetarian, no cheese, low fat) is difficult. This recipe fit's the bill! Perfect timing. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beyond beautiful! thank you for joining in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Heather. This blog hop is loads of fun!

      Delete
  8. Those are very cool! Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG that tart looks amazing, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pictures, everything looks so colourful and healthy. Wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice roast veggie tart. One of my most favourite things is roast chicken with a mix of veggies roasted right along with it. Mmm. It's usually a Sunday roast sort of thing, but I've no idea why I make it on Sundays only. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roast chicken and veges are delicious (any day of the week :)!

      Delete
  12. Oh.my.vibrant.color. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I always love to eat loads of different coloured veges if I can.

      Delete
  13. These pics of your beautiful and ohhhhh soooo tasty looking food are nothing short of WONDERFUL !!!! and THANK YOU for sharing your recipe and/or the description - LOVE IT !!!!!
    Blessings, Sandra in AZ, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming and saying hi Sandra! I hope you enjoy it, if you make it :)

      Delete
  14. All those colors! That must be so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it looks so delicious! Amazing photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How beautiful is that tart.. Such lovely colors and I bet it tastes just as good, too..
    Thanks for the sweet visit..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to go wrong with roasted veges :)

      Delete
  17. Such pretty and colorful photos. I'm sure the tart is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, but that looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! Your food, all the color... so delicious! I'll have to try your beautiful tart one day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Found your blog via Beauty That Moves and I'm so pleased I did. Your blog is so colourful, so beautifully composed and a real joy to read. I'm going to make the vegetable tart this weekend although unfortunately for us our veggies will be from the shop. Loved reading about your story, you've achieved so much over a relatively short space of time. And love love love your passion for fabrics and sewing. Best wishes and look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a lovely thing to say. Thank you so much Sharon! It's so nice that you found me :)

      Delete
  21. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, which led me to investigate yours! I am happy that I did! Wow, your vegetable tart looks amazing and so yummy. I immediately want to take a bite. I am not a great cook, that is why I need good recipes to begin with and it looks like that by checking in with your blog I will get quite a few :-)! Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina, I enjoy looking at yoru pretty roses :)

      Delete
  22. Mouth-watering pictures! Thanks for the recipe--I've saved it already, waiting for us here in New England/US to have fall come around again in Sept! My favorite time of year. Hope you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving autumn, it's such a lovely season isn't it!

      Delete
  23. Hey you!!! I am so pinning this! It is just gorgeous! And I bet it tastes just as good!!! Wishing you a lovely weekend!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Nicole :) We thought it was tasty!

      Delete
  24. Gorgeous colours. Looks yummy too. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...