Tuesday, 6 May 2014

chicken pot pie recipe



OK, I promised I would get around to writing this one up and here it is! These pies came about after a few cool nights we had recently. Nothing like pie on a cold night!

After roasting a couple of chickens, I had some leftovers. And I always like to make the most of leftovers. Which meant chicken pie. Or little chicken pot pies, to be more precise.

The crowd goes wild around here when things are individually portioned. I guess it's like a little food present just for them. You don't have to cook them in little pots though. It works just as well in a big pie dish as well.

But shhhhh, the kids don't need to know it's leftovers!




Chicken pie recipe (serves a lot of people 6-8)

Ingredients:

1kg cooked chicken (You can use whatever you've got, I used the leftovers from 2 chickens I roasted) cut into small pieces
300grams bacon (I used low fat short cut), diced
6 cups veges (approximately) cut up into small pieces
2 onions (or 2 leeks), diced
3 cloves fresh garlic, finely diced
2 teaspoons chicken stock powder (I use an MSG-free one)
2 teaspoons seeded mustard
2 tablespoons finely cut parsley
bunch chives from the garden
Approx. 1.5 litres milk
2/3 cup plain flour
Approx. 100 grams of butter
Pepper to taste
Filo pastry
Extra butter melted (approx. 30 grams)


Here's how I do it:

Cook bacon in a large saucepan. Remove from pot.

Add butter to your pan. Cook the onions and garlic. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk, chicken stock powder and mustard. Don't add all the milk at once though, just add it slowly and stir really hard to make sure there are no lumps. Cook until sauce thickens. You'll need to stir it all the time so it doesn't catch on the bottom of the pot. You may need to add a bit more milk, if it's looking too thick. Add parsley and chives. Season with pepper.

In a steamer or microwave lightly steam your veges until almost cooked through. Add all ingredients (vegetables, chicken and bacon) back into pot and cook through for a couple of minutes. Spoon into pie dish. Cover with filo pastry.

With the little pot pies I just take a single sheet of filo pastry, scrunch it up to fit on top of the pie and brush with a little melted butter. For a bigger pie, I arrange the pastry in layers with some melted butter brushed between each layer. You can add as many layers of pastry as you like.

Cook in a 180 degree oven for 20- 30 mins or until pastry is golden brown. A bigger pie will take a bit longer.

That's it, you're done! Pie that really is as easy as...

Want to see more great recipes? Go HERE.

Want to see the amazing transformation of our vegetable garden? Go HERE.


Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.




15 comments:

  1. They look delicious..........I made the chocolate brownies that had zucchini in them today from Kate Berry of the Lunch Lady....YUM...be aware it is a very dry mix. My only tip would be to leave the final mix for 10 mins before putting it into the tray as the moisture will come out more in the zucchinis. Total YUM. No eggs in this one. It's on her blog I think it's called easy chocolate brownies or something like that. I will be making this one again and again that's for sure. You will have to give these a try. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it took me a couple of weeks to finally get around to writing the recipe up, but I got there eventually! Your brownies sound good :)

      Delete
  2. I can understand the love of individual portions. Nothing more comforting than holding your own bowl of (delicious looking) food. They look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, looks so good!! I do love a chicken pie..it just announces the cooler weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pie is good on a cold night isn't it!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this one! I am pinning it right now so that I can make it! It looks just too good! Wishing you a great week! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely lady. I'd love to know if you make it :)

      Delete
  5. The pies look delicious. I like the idea of scrunching the filo pastry on top. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chicken pot pie looks so deliciously goood , and the individual portion presentation is so appealing too:) It must be nice to be in your kitchen everyday...oh...I just can imagine it all ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love being in the kitchen. Such a lovely place to be, especially as the weather cools!

      Delete
  7. Hi, I found your blog yesterday and the pie looked so fabulous I rushed off to get the ingredients to make it. It was absolutely delicious. I am now a follower of your blog and would just like to say that I have really enjoyed reading it. I live in Cornwall in the UK and the weather for us is just starting to warm up but here in Cornwall, it's never too warm for a fabulous chicken pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay! Well thanks for finding me :) I'm so pleased you enjoyed the pie. It just made my day to read that!

      Delete
  8. Hello Virginia. I found your beautiful blog via eat365. Your recipes are just gorgeous, including this one! I am so pleased to have come across you & look forward to discovering more. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...