Wednesday, 21 May 2014

may madness


I don't know where May is disappearing to. I really don't. One minute it was April and the next, BAM! Here we are more than half way through May.

What a gorgeous month too. Out in the flower gardens, the leaves are turning on the trees. Everything has a beautiful glow. It's all red, orange, yellow and pinks out there. My camellia hedge is blooming like crazy. It's an amazing sight.



I really don't want this month to slip through my fingers. In amongst all the craziness that is May, I'm trying to take a few moments to stop and take it all in. Really soak up the beautiful show that nature puts on for us at this time of year.

The days are gorgeous, sunny and warm. But there's a chill that's now creeping in at night. I'm grateful for the warmth of our crackling wood fire (Thanks so much guys for all the wood fire tips! I've been to look at a few models, but still haven't quite settled on one yet. Patience, patience. Sometimes it's hard.)

The weekly cutting and stacking of firewood, from our piles of dried hardwood we've been saving for these very days. The constant gathering of kindling from the gardens. The gum tree limbs that have been making a mess in the garden are now making themselves useful in our fireplace.




The veggie garden is powering away as well. I promise an update on that soon. We're eating quite a lot from the garden lately and with the return of kale, many green smoothies are on the horizon as well. I'm determined to pack a nutrient filled punch into these cool winter days that are to come.

Will it hold off the winter lurgies? Doubtful, but it's worth a try!

Along with the blog neglect, there's a been a whole lotta neglect of my inbox as well. I'm sorry about that. It's overflowing at the moment. Thanks so much to all those who've sent me emails! I'll be working my way through it in the next couple of days. I'm not ignoring anyone. Promise!

So, how are things looking in your part of the world? Crazyville as well? I do hope you are you finding some time to enjoy the beauty that is May.



18 comments:

  1. How lucky that you can grow camellias, they seem to like the cooler weather in the Adelaide hills down here but no success yet for me. Kale is looking good, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camellias seem to grow really well here (I'm sure it's not nearly so cold as the Adelaide Hills though :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures!!!! I love fall and where I live Spring has finally arrived and I am loving that too. We've been doing lots of picnics outside and I am currently debating whether or not to go on one today but I am having a hard time getting moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh beautiful Spring! So glad you are finally getting some good weather. Outdoor picnics are so great when the weather is good :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely autumn pictures and I can't believe it's nearly the end of May either. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy yes!!! And oh my goodness...I could get lost in your garden friend! Your first shot has completely inspired me to get to work in my space tomorrow! What a garden you have! And the colors of autumn in your world are so soothing and beautiful! Wishing you a wonderful end to your week!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole :) I love the colours of autumn so much! Looking forward to seeing what you get up to in your garden.

      Delete
  5. Hello there- I've never actually commented here, newish reader and love your recipes! and garden, what a magical place! So my reason for commenting is not about your outdoors but you ginger beer recipe!!! We have it going!! Bottled the first batch and the plant is still thriving, what a total trip! My boys love watching it and it hisses all day and night. Thank you for sharing such a treasured recipe! wondering if you've ever tested the alcohol level? The smell is intense but yummy. Do you keep it going and going or do you start from scratch evreytime you;re in the mood? any tips or experiences welcome as this is the first of many.
    many thanks and happy days to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you are enjoying making the ginger beer Robin! I find the beer gets stronger the older the plant is... I usually keep it going for a while, until I've made more than enough ginger beer! Then I'll let it go for a bit. I really am not sure of the alcohol content to be honest, I've never tested it. My guess is pretty low, but I imagine it can vary a bit.

      Delete
  6. I just love that first photo that you have up, I want to wander along that path to see where it takes me!! I love all of the photos by the way:)

    You make me want to move to the country!!!

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see and read your new post. I've really missed your kitchen blog hop you were doing. I know what you mean about how time flies, can't believe we're almost to the longest day of the year, how did that happen lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon! I've missed the blog hop as well... I haven't had time to keep up with everything lately... hopefully I'll be able to join in again soon :)

      Delete
  8. A different kind of crazyville here, because of course it's spring, but the belatedness of this comment indicates how behind with everything I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I'm ridiculously behind!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...