Sunday, 6 July 2014

how to make ricotta cheese- in a flash!







Ricotta cheese must be the easiest cheese ever to make. Do you have some milk near its use-by date in the fridge that you don't know what to do with? Don't throw it out. Make some cheese. Trust me, you'll be so pleased with yourself, you'll wonder why you haven't tried it before.

This is the simplest ricotta cheese to make. No adding cream. Just basic milk. Super cheap to make and great for using up milk that is about to turn.

Here's how to do it:

Heat 1 litre milk with a pinch a salt until it is almost at a simmer (I took mine to about 85 degrees on a candy thermometer). Then remove from heat and stir through 1/3 cup white vinegar. Don't stir too much! You'll see the curds and whey start to separate immediately. Let it sit for a few minutes in the pot and then strain through a muslin cloth until the whey has all dripped away (about 15 mins).

What you are left with is very basic ricotta cheese!

Dress it up any way you like. I can say first hand, it definitely turns into really great pie!

16 comments:

  1. It's that easy? I'm a seasoned yogurt maker but I've never tried my hand at cheesemaking. I'm certainly going to try this soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so simple to make basic ricotta isn't it!

      Delete
  2. We see imported ricotta cheese sold in supermarket, but we don't buy them as they come in small packet and quite expensive. I didn't realize it's easy to make...definitely something to try! Thank you so much for sharing with us another of your many skills. Really appreciate it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy, you should give it a try!

      Delete
  3. really easy to make. thanks for sharing!!!!!!
    blessings regina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try this. Thanks for sharing how you did it. I recently converted regular yogurt into Greek yogurt, which was easier than I'd thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basic ricotta is so easy, it almost feels like cheating!

      Delete
  5. I want to try this one lady! Thank you Thank you for sharing it with us! We are big cheese eaters and I use ricotta in many of my recipes! I will be giving it a whirl!!! Happy week to ya! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you have lots of cheese success :)

      Delete
  6. I lovemaking my own cheese but for some reason have never tried ricotta........

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it comes out thicker than you like Ricotta you can thin it down by adding a bit of cream. Whole milk Ricotta (some is made from whey) is sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm having a go at making this right now! In a few minutes I'm going to try and strain it...through chux as apparantly I do't own any muslin and did'y think to check this out in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended up using an old shirt. Feeling accomplished!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...