Wednesday, 2 July 2014

in my garden: right now



So this is what the garden is looking like right now.

The peas are just starting to finish up. I've only got one lot of snow peas left growing along the fence. I've ripped the peas out that were in the beds and replanted with some onions, new lettuces, carrots, beetroots, radishes and more broccoli. The peas along the fence are still producing, but starting to die off a bit, so I'll have to rip those out soon as well.

I've replanted another lot of peas along the fence and I'll also plant a whole heap of peas down in another paddock on our property to make sure we still have plenty of peas coming in. We've harvested bucketfuls of them, but we love them so much I'll keep planting them until the heat of summer forces me to stop. That's a whole lotta pea planting still to be done!

I must say, the garden is feeding us very well at the moment.

Currently harvesting: peas, broccoli, kale, lettuce, rocket, silverbeet/chard, english spinach, wombok, herbs, carrots, beetroots, leeks and early strawberries.

We've had some decent sized frosts this year which have bitten off all the basil. Everything else is powering along though and I'm loving my time out there as the sun warms up these winter days.


Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'. 

12 comments:

  1. It looks lovely! Im having problems with mine now, it was a great spot for summer but now a tree from other house is so big that we dont get sun in winter .... i will use it this summer again but next winter i will have to move it to another side ... grrrr!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, how frustrating. :( Sun is one of those things you really do need to grow a garden. Hopefully you can get a spot sorted out.

      Delete
  2. It's looking great. I'm mostly growing flowers this year, with grapes my husband planted last year. We don't have fruit yet but the vines are spreading nicely now. I really love the idea of eating so much from the garden, I wish I could manage that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love grapevines. I've been thinking about putting some in :) It will so great when they start to fruit!

      Delete
  3. Wow your garden looks amazing, so many delicious greens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anja, the greens grow well in winter!

      Delete
  4. H! I'm visiting from SouleMama today! What a flourishing garden you have! May I inquire about your blog name? It's very original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have you here :) The name is actually a family nickname!

      Delete
  5. Wombok. I need to look this up. I don't remember hearing this one. The garden looks spectacular!

    I've come to visit today from Soule Mama and happy to have found you.

    http://robinfollette.com/in-the-garden-on-july-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming to visit Robin! Wombok is a Chinese cabbage (delicious raw or cooked)- There's a picture of it at the top of this post :)
      http://www.ock-du-spock.com/2014/06/your-gardening-questions-answered.html

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a lovely garden space you have. Everything looks wonderful and is growing so well. Love how you have set everything up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...