Thursday, 3 July 2014

this week in my kitchen






Joining in with Heather from Beauty That Moves, showing some glimpses into my kitchen this week.

This pie came about from a "use-it-up" exercise. I am really trying to waste as little food as possible these days (both from the garden and from the fridge/pantry). Our food budget has been playing on my mind. While we save money by growing our own vegetables, I'm trying to cut back at the grocery store as well. To use what we have first, before buying more. To work our way through our pantry and freezer. To really question my purchases before making them.  
Do we really need it? Every bit really does add up.

I had some milk in the fridge that was about to expire, but there was no way I was going to throw it away. Instead I made up some ricotta cheese with it. So easy to do, and it only takes a few minutes! I'll make sure I write up how I made it next week. It's such a useful little trick to have up your sleeve.

Then using some spinach, silverbeet/chard and spring onions from the garden, a couple of eggs, a few potatoes and onions from the pantry and a bit of cheese and homemade yoghurt from the fridge, this pie was born. I even had a few sheets of puff pastry in the freezer.

I love that there was no going to the store to buy new ingredients. I also love that it used up things that might have gone to waste. Everything was on hand (either in the garden/fridge/freezer).

Such a cheap and cheerful meal that the kids just loved.


Cost of pie (8 generous serves, enough to feed our family of 5 for 2 nights):

spinach (from the garden)
eggs (from my parent's chickens)
spring onions (from the garden)
ricotta cheese (made from milk that was about to expire): $3.00
potatoes: $0.50
onions: $0.30
homemade yoghurt: $0.20
puff pastry: $1.50
small amount of tasty cheese grated: $0.50

Total cost of pie: $6.00
Cost per serve: $0.75

It was super tasty, served up with some salad from the garden. Delicious and budget friendly.
Gotta love that!


To read more about how we're saving money in the garden, go HERE.

Wanna see what else has been happening in my kitchen? Go HERE.

Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.  


38 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious - I have plenty of chard that I'm not sure how I'm going to use. I can certainly appreciate trying to avoid waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chard makes it's way into everything around here! this gave them a really good picking though!

      Delete
  2. That pie looks delicious. I have found that it is easier to avoid wasting food when I make a menu and a shopping list. I usually plan and shop for two weeks and really only buy what we need plus a few pantry staples. We have reached zero food waste over the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic Maria. You are so right about the planning!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous friend! I think about our food budget often as well and I applaud you for using every bit of what you have! That pie looks absolutely delicious!!! Thank you for sharing that recipe! Wishing you all the best today! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole. I am always trying to tweak things a bit, question myself, make sure I'm happy with the choices I'm making :)

      Delete
  4. Chard is great! I love baking pies too! Also chard from the stores here is HORRIBLE, its like plastic! Nothing compared to the ones in our garden!
    Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing quite like homegrown is there!

      Delete
  5. I am trying to do the same! We've had a bunny nibbling in our garden, so I lost all my dino kale, but the carrot tops are growing back and we have so much chard. Your pie is gorgeous. With just a little time to think about ingredients and to be creative, you are right, we can use so much of what we have to make something delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rabbits are frustrating aren't they :( We had them in the garden before this one and they ate everything. I have a strong fence now which keeps them out. Hopefully your carrots will fully recover!

      Delete
  6. Hello Virginia, I've just found your wonderful blog via Heather's blog hop and two words spring to mind as I look through your posts - vibrant and vegetables. You make me want to grab armfuls of colourful veg and hotfoot it to my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! So nice to have you here.You're right, I do love my vegetables and my veggie garden!

      Delete
  7. Oh, that pie looks delicious! It's true, isn't it? Every bit counts -- especially these days. Good for you for making the effort! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally. Yes, it does all make a difference, especially when you add it all together :)

      Delete
  8. Wow! Your crust is fantastic. That photo could be framed. If I someday make a crust half as flaky I'll be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Robin. It was really tasty :)

      Delete
  9. Scrumptious. My tummies rumbling. Like you I hate wasting food. I've been wanting to make cheese for a while now so look forward to next weeks post.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricotta is SO easy. It literally takes a few minutes :)

      Delete
  10. Yum that looks amazing. I hate to waste food too. I have always wanted to try making ricotta...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! You should try ricotta. It's ridiculously easy!

      Delete
  11. Hmmm that pie looks fantastic! I love making one-dish meals from the fridge and pantry... quiches, stir fries, and rice/noodle bowls are my faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love a good one dish meal as well :)

      Delete
  12. Love the post. You are absolutely right, it does add up, and I am so thankful you put the cost of your pie in you post. Great idea. Something so delicious can be so inexpensive. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so yum, we have a celiac in our house but i'm sure a bit of GF pastry would work. Its hard to find good budget meals that suit everyone. Thanks for this, T x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't know much about gluten free pastry, but I'm pretty sure it would work :)

      Delete
  14. Good on you!
    We live by this and it is amazing what you can make do with, and there is a lot of us!

    My shopping bill is less then my girlfriend with 2 children, just by NOT going to the shops so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the key really isn't it- staying out of the shops! I imagine you are the master of making do :)
      I try to shop as little as possible and am now making sure I really plan/watch what I buy when I go there now... it definitely makes a difference

      Delete
  15. Your pie looks and sounds delicious, and cheap, today is so important!! I must try it!!! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for your comment, the handle biscuits are made by my son ^_^ He is so proud ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My goodness that all looks utterly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great reminder to think carefully and frugally about our foods. Looking forward to the day when we can eat more from our garden...(hoping to close on our new home soon!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting for you! So much possibility to come :)

      Delete
  18. hi
    your pie looks delicious!!! thanks for posting the cost of your pie!
    have a wonderful weekend,
    regina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...