Wednesday, 6 August 2014

budget friendly butter biscuits

My kitchen has been a crazy busy place of late. I've been challenging myself to make as much of our food from scratch as possible, while trying to keep our budget in check. I've always made our food from scratch, but paying careful attention to the budget is becoming a new way of life.

I'm determined that our food, even if it is budget friendly, is still going to taste mighty fine as well.

My kids mainly get fruit for snacks, but they do love a bikkie now and again. Who can blame 'em really? They are definitely delicious. These homemade ones will have you wondering if you can ever buy biscuits at the store again!



I promise these bikkies don't disappoint. They are really yum. The cherry ones in particular are my very favourite. But we all know I've got a bit of a thing for cherries! They're soft, buttery and deliciously crumbly when you bite into them. They're ridiculously moreish, so you'll also need to find a safe place to store them away, so you don't eat them all up at once. I make a "master recipe" which can be dressed up however you like. You can add in your favourite extras to make them a little bit more exciting! Come on, who doesn't love a customised, pimped up biscuit?

But importantly, they're also budget friendly, using lovely quality ingredients.

These biscuits are a slice and bake recipe, which means you don't have to cook them all at once if you don't want to. You can keep a few rolls in the fridge ready to bake, or pull a roll out of the freezer, ready for slicing up whenever you need some fresh bikkies on hand.


Master Recipe: Budget Friendly Butter Biscuits (Makes 100 biscuits)

Ingredients

500 grams unsalted butter (softened)
2 cups icing sugar
4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cornflour
1/2 cup rice flour
4 teaspoons vanilla extract


Here's How I Do It

Put your butter, vanilla extract and icing mixture in your mixer bowl and beat until it's soft and fluffy. This will take at least 5 mins of mixing, maybe more.

Sift your flours together and gradually fold into your fluffy butter mixture.

Knead your dough together on your bench top and separate out into 8 even balls.

Roll your balls into log shapes. Wrap in paper or cling wrap and put in the fridge for a couple of hours.

(You can freeze your logs at this point and bring them out to defrost when you want to cook them.)

When the dough has hardened up a bit, take them out of the fridge and slice them about 1cm thick and put them on your biscuit trays. (I line my trays with baking paper so they don't stick, which I reuse over and over again).

Bake in a 180 degree C oven until lightly golden. This takes just under 10 mins in my oven, your oven may vary a bit, so keep an eye on them.

They'll be a bit soft, but will go crispy as they cool down.

Put them on a wire rack to cool and try not to eat them all up! Don't blame me if you find yourself scoffing them down. They're really delicious. You've been warned!

Cost of biscuits: Around $5 for about 100 quality biscuits


Pimp my biscuit! I also like to make different variations:

Cherry biscuits: Add a packet of diced glace cherries to your mix after you have kneaded your dough.

Chocolate choc chip: Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder to your flour mix when you sift and mix into the butter mixture. Add a cup of choc chips when you knead your dough.

Lemon biscuits: Leave out the vanilla extract and add 1 tablespoon of grated lemon rind into your butter mixture when you beat it up. You could use any citrus rind this way (orange/lime/mandarin etc).

Possibilities for pimping are pretty much endless- you could add sultanas, macadamias (or other nuts), mini m&ms, dried fruit, spices, you name it!

Please let me know if you make them. I'd love to know your pimping preference!

Enjoy!


27 comments:

  1. These look amazing! Such a great idea to freeze a batch to slice and bake. Oh dear...so hungry...must go make cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also make big batches and freeze them cooked, that works as well :)

      Delete
  2. The look wonderful. I would have a hard time resisting the cherry ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry ones are definitely my weakness!

      Delete
  3. These look amazing friend! Thank you for sharing this recipe because I would really like to try and make these! And I love that you make everything homemade!! Inspiring! Lovely day to you! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole :) I hope you get around to trying them, they are dangerously tasty!

      Delete
  4. They sound delicious. I love making "log" cookies. It's easy to freeze one for later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good old recipe and back in the day used for pusher biscuits. If you have a biscuit forcer set you can pimp them even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't got one of those but they sound like a huge amount of fun!

      Delete
  6. these bisquits/cookies looks absolutley amazing!!! thanks for sharing the recipe.I will it try!!!
    have a lovely rest week,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are yummy ones, hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  7. I make Rhonda's condensed milk recipe biscuits but these look great so will have to terry them and the chocolate ones look great too. Regards Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried those ones yet!

      Delete
    2. They are on my 'to try' ( mental ) list also.

      Delete
  8. They look great - and what a neat way to make and freeze them too. Must try. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the convenience of freezing :)

      Delete
  9. Pimped up biscuits awesome! dough that freezes, can be made in bulk and is budget friendly even better! I am re using baking paper at the moment too. Also trying to reduce our food spending and budget; Watching the $ and tracking our spending every day. This post added some real value to my Day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy. They're tasty too if you make them :)

      Delete
  10. My mouth is watering looking at these. Good idea to freeze the dough for later, you never know when you might need to do an impromptu bake. T x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big fan of the freezer for instant meals!

      Delete
  11. Wow, that is a large quantity of biscuits your recipe makes. We love them with ginger here, chopped up stem ginger is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you make them? Love the ginger idea :)

      Delete
  12. these are on my to bake list this week, thanks for the recipe :D Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to have to try these biscuits, I bet your kitchen has been smelling delicious with the goodies you have been baking, Your bread looks wonderful too:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found this. I will be trying these! We will be going on holidays soon and I will freeze some to bake while we're away. Love homey smells while away from home. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...