Thursday, 21 August 2014

come take a walk around my garden








I've been spending a lot of time in the garden this week preparing it for spring. We've had some much needed rain and the plants have been lapping it up appreciatively. Everything seemed to literally grow inches overnight. My water tanks are happy now too, which puts me in a good position leading into the new growing season.

I've been pulling the old winter crops out, replacing them with new seeds and seedlings. The cauliflowers are almost all done, along with many of the broccoli plants. I've still got some broccoli plants coming along, which should produce nicely into spring.

But my mind has been turned towards spring crops now. Bean seeds, zucchinis, squash, potatoes, tomatoes are all being planted out. A few last cabbages and some Asian greens have also gone into the beds. If you want all the details of what I'm planting, you'll find that HERE.

If you've been thinking about starting a spring garden, why not start now? I've got a few pointers HERE for those who've been thinking about it, but don't really know where to start.

Go on, go and get your hands dirty! What? You really don't like getting your hands dirty?  
(Psssst two words: Gardening gloves).

Happy gardening!


Like this post? Come follow along at bloglovin'.  

24 comments:

  1. I am marveling at the variety in your WINTER garden! Beautiful photos, especially the cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi, we are lucky with what we can grow all year :)

      Delete
  2. You garden is SO perfect!!!!
    Im working on mine ... we will see :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you... it's far from perfect, but is a nice place to spend time pottering about in!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful winter garden. It makes me wish our winters weren't so darn harsh. Enjoy your time in garden as spring arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it's nice to have a break from the garden though- especially over Christmas when it's so busy (and cold for you)... that's when my summer garden gets very neglected :)

      Delete
  4. I love your wise advice...those two words:) It applies to me!! I don't mind getting hands dirty, but fingernails get grimmy and chipped! Manicure and gardening doesn't seem to go together...never mind, once winter is here, I can carry on wearing gloves;P I think I've said it before...I love your garden:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my gardening gloves, as do my hands!

      Delete
  5. your garden is adream.the cabbage looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to picking a few cabbages soon :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! Your garden looks amazing! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden just looks amazing..........such fresh produce at your back door.... Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely a lot of food out there at this time of the year!

      Delete
  8. Wow! Such abundance in winter. What temps do you get there? I have Australian friends whose veg gardens all but shut down for the winter, pretty much as ours do in the UK ... I guess location is all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in one of the warmer parts of Australia (up in the subtropics), so not very cold here... we've had frosts overnight this winter, but our days are warm... I think average winter daytime temps are around 20 degrees C (which I know for some parts of the world is like summertime really)...
      although this has been a cooler than normal winter so temps have probably been lower than that this year... our summers are hot though, VERY hot and humid!

      Delete
  9. Your garden is heaven friend! And those photos are breath taking! You should frame them for your house!!! Happy weekend and happy gardening!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought of doing that! What a great idea :)

      Delete
  10. Agree with all those comments above - your winter garden is amazing!
    It's very interesting to see, especially considering we, in Canada, are still in our summer.
    I'll be back to see what you grow when we have winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our garden probably peaks in spring, while summer it is looking it's worst. Our summers are generally so hot here and filled with bugs and pests, that I tend to grow less.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful and productive garden, everything looks so well cared for. I'm wishing you a good growing season, you're certainly off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love a spring garden!

      Delete
  12. Your garden is always beautiful, thank you the tour :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...