Thursday, 7 May 2015

a twirly skirt


So it seems twirling is still very big around these parts. Oh, and all things pink. Let's not forget the pink. If it's pink and it twirls, all the better.

There have been many requests for twirling skirts and dresses. More practical or necessary things always seem to get bumped up the sewing list though. Or if I'm being completely honest, things that I like to sew that are more to my own taste are usually a higher priority.

That is until last night when I just said, "Enough Virginia! Just make a twirly skirt already!"

There was no pattern for this. I just started cutting strips of fabric at about 9pm and then started sewing and gathering, gathering, gathering. The bottom tier of the skirt is more than 5 yards long. Yep, it took a little while to gather up that one.

But, you know, the skirt really needs to twirl.

Mental note to self: It must be about time to dig out the ruffling foot that came with the sewing machine. It would have made this much faster! 


It's mostly pink (which ticks off one of the necessary criteria), with a little splash of turquoise (Sarah Jane- Just Stay Little). I really love that fabric... is it really out of print?

I sewed some little ballerina cotton ribbon onto one of the ruffles, which should hopefully make a little dancer happy as well.

So, of course, the big pressing question.... Does the skirt twirl?

I'm told it's a big Y to the E.S! A double thumbs up.

Who knew twirling until you fall down could bring so much joy?

Come to think of it, there are a few more little dancers in my life that probably need one of these as well.
Really now, it might be time to just embrace the pink. Embrace the twirls.

Yep, I have a feeling there could be a few more of these twirly skirts in my future.





14 comments:

  1. Who DOESN'T love a twirly skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are far more popular in this house than I ever expected them to be!!

      Delete
  2. I want a twirly skirt :)

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! And perfectly twirly. I haven't made one of these in a couple of years and I've been thinking about doing one lately. You've motivated me to get started soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I put it off too, but twirly things are so loved around here that I have to do it eventually :)

      Delete
  4. Oh you are good. This is just the kind of skirt my daughter would adore but I don't ever seem to get around to making. Spinning til you fall down is one of lifes natural highs! Have fun (and be careful of the furniture!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little girl wears me down eventually, she's such a girly girl and always reminds me she's different to her brothers!

      Delete
  5. am I too old for one??? :D My daughter would adore this skirt - adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't tell anyone if you don't Jan ;)

      Delete
  6. Nicely done m'dear :) I love a twirly skirt ... I'm all grown up with grown up children of my own but that doesn't stop me wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget what fun they are and then realise I should make a whole lot more!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...